Lock monitor screen while viewing cameras?

Xizenta

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a television set up next to my front door hooked up to my Blue Iris client/computer. I like to be able to go to my entry door and look at the monitor to observe traffic around my house. I am having some guests stay at my house in the future and would like to know how to prevent the guests from having access to this computer. I would like to lock it, almost like logging out, but instead of seeing my login screen, I want to keep the monitor displaying my blue iris client or cameras.

I am shocked there is no feature in blue iris to lock the operating system while keeping the client visible. Are there any other solutions?

For now, I just have my PC set up not to put the monitor to sleep or log the user out of the operating system. This keeps the cameras on screen all the time. However, there is no way to stop someone from plugging a mouse and keyboard into my PC and browsing through my clips, installing keyloggers on my computer, doing whatever. I want the system locked down without interrupting the display.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a television set up next to my front door hooked up to my Blue Iris client/computer. I like to be able to go to my entry door and look at the monitor to observe traffic around my house. I am having some guests stay at my house in the future and would like to know how to prevent the guests from having access to this computer. I would like to lock it, almost like logging out, but instead of seeing my login screen, I want to keep the monitor displaying my blue iris client or cameras.

I am shocked there is no feature in blue iris to lock the operating system while keeping the client visible. Are there any other solutions?

For now, I just have my PC set up not to put the monitor to sleep or log the user out of the operating system. This keeps the cameras on screen all the time. However, there is no way to stop someone from plugging a mouse and keyboard into my PC and browsing through my clips, installing keyloggers on my computer, doing whatever. I want the system locked down without interrupting the display.
Blue iris would have no way of stopping someone from installing a keylogger. Many business class machines have the ability to disable usb ports in the bios.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could install this screen saver and set it to display logon screen on resume.
In my very brief testing, it worked.

Install screensaver.
Configure in settings to open UI3 page.
Preview it, enter credentials and toggle UI3 to login automatically.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why don't you put the computer somewhere people can't access it? Or are you still wanting to access it yourself, not just not your guests?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There is 'USB Blocker' software....

My latest motherboard (Gigabyte brand) even comes with a USB Blocker utility

Take a look here

Better yet, why don't you just use some Android device by your front door? Even a simple Chrome Box will run UI3 in the chrome browser, or something where you can load an app like TinyCam Pro like a FireStick Dongle

Xizenta

n3wb
Reaction score
There is 'USB Blocker' software....

My latest motherboard (Gigabyte brand) even comes with a USB Blocker utility

Take a look here
I probably shouldn't have mentioned USB issues. I didn't know there was a way to offload a keylogger from a USB onto a locked computer. I'm not really concerned about that level of user. I'm more concerned about extended family opening up old clips of security footage, et cetera. Anything that password protects the computer would be fine. I think the WebPage screensaver is fine too, except that it will make me have to beef up to FPS broadcast by the webserver and put more strain on my network.

Xizenta

n3wb
Reaction score
What sort of friends do you have that you’re suspicious that they might install keyloggers etc. Paranoid maybe a little too much?
Not really worried about that. I just mentioned that kind of security concern as a reason why Blue Iris might want to provide the feature I was looking for.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Isn't that why Blue Iris allows you to create different users - to limit what they can do or see? You can lock down what cameras are available and completely remove the ability to watch any recorded clips.

TRI-401.jpg