Log File Shows Signal retry and restored

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I never look at the Blue Iris logs, but now I see a recurring message of:

Cam1 Signal: network retry
Cam1 Signal: restored

Probably the RJ45 ethernet connections on this camera's cable? The camera is always working okay, but this pair of log entries recurs every 30 seconds.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a couple of cheap crap cameras that do that, too, but not on a 30 second cycle. I've tried everything, new RJs, dielectric grease and being very careful to make sure there's no way for moisture ingress at the connections and still get it sporadically. Sometimes one of the cameras, the worst case POS, Reolink clone, seems to reboot for no apparent reason and loses its whole configuration. (gotta replace that POS and junk it, I won't unload it on anyone, just in the trash)

I'd try the new RJ route and dielectric grease, just in case. You didn't mention what camera type, but if it's a cheapy, they seem to be prone to it from my, limited, experience with them.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks awsum. The problem camera is the Dahua Z5 varifocal, used as an LPR. When I get a chance, I'll re-terminate the connector, and look into the suggested RJ route and dielectric grease.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
M
Thanks awsum. The problem camera is the Dahua Z5 varifocal, used as an LPR. When I get a chance, I'll re-terminate the connector, and look into the suggested RJ route and dielectric grease.
Make certain your using solid copper cable, and you are using the 568b standard.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi looney; thanks for writing. I used Monoprice's "23AWG Cat6 500Mhz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR)". Not sure of the 568b standard; their sales page says:

"Monoprice Ethernet cables are made of 100% pure bare copper wire, as opposed to copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire, and are therefore fully compliant with UL Code 444 and National Electrical Code TIA-568-C.2 fire and safety standards, which require pure bare copper wire in communications cables."

Thinking it is either my crimp or moisture in the connection.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi looney; thanks for writing. I used Monoprice's "23AWG Cat6 500Mhz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR)". Not sure of the 568b standard; their sales page says:

"Monoprice Ethernet cables are made of 100% pure bare copper wire, as opposed to copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire, and are therefore fully compliant with UL Code 444 and National Electrical Code TIA-568-C.2 fire and safety standards, which require pure bare copper wire in communications cables."

Thinking it is either my crimp or moisture in the connection.
You must use the 568b standard when wireing new rj45. Or you will have problems.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
568a or b, doesn't matter as long as you are consistant at both ends of the wire.
it's very important to group the pairs together properly or the interference-rejecting
capabilities of the twisted-pair wiring are severely degraded.

what make/model of cam are we talking about here?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi pozzello.

The camera is the Dahua IPC-HFW5231EZ5. I purchased the dielectric grease, and it hadn't helped.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume, and we know what that can do, that you tried another port on the PoE switch.