Long distance POE 4 Camera System

7600e

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been lurking past few weeks I am needing some advice. I'm not a professional installer however I have installed a coax hilook system in my house recently and I've crimped cat5e cables etc etc before. Im looking at installing a 4 camera system to my work. A central building with two underground pipes going to two locations, each with two pole mounted cameras. The first location is around 100m away and the second is 200-300m away. I was originally going to use a coax system again but I think I may need a IP system correct (due to the long distances)? I would like to stick with the hilook range, its cheap, easy to get hold of and seems to be reliable. I can also use the hilook app which has my home system on it anyways.

Are these distances too far? Local power isn't really an option as its outdoors. Will I be able to use cat5e indoor cable if its in conduit? Will I need solid core or is CCA okay?

Appreciate the help in advance!

techip

n3wb
Reaction score
100m for IP CAT5e or CAT6 is the theoretical limit when used for 10/100/1000base-T. A network switch will be required for lengths greater than 100m. Yes, indoor CAt5e/CAT6 maybe used in conduit. While CCA cable will work, solid core copper will be more reliable & have consistent performance.