Longevity and nighttime performance of dome cameras

Rack201

n3wb
Reaction score
I’d prefer domes for my setup at home as they feel less obtrusive to me, but supplier is recommending turrets, suggesting domes lose clarity over time, suffer moisture problems and don’t perform as well at night. Mine would be mounted under eaves so shouldn’t get too much direct weather.

Wondering what the real world experience is like?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turrets are generally the better choice.

The biggest issue with a dome is that domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than other cameras and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event with IR, the camera is basically blind...but even without rain, the reflections of lights even outside the field of view can throw weird reflections into the dome.

1671119162254.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

We have more people coming here posting a problem picture at night thinking there is a problem with their dome camera when in reality it is the IR bounce from some object that the dome is then capturing and magnifying.

You can still get IR bounce with a turret as well as this thread shows , but they are usually easier to mitigate than a dome.

Doesn't mean a dome won't work, but turret usually results in the better overall performance, plus not many domes are on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’d prefer domes for my setup at home as they feel less obtrusive to me, but supplier is recommending turrets, suggesting domes lose clarity over time, suffer moisture problems and don’t perform as well at night. Mine would be mounted under eaves so shouldn’t get too much direct weather.

Hi @Rack201

Yes in my experience, domes outdoors have issues degrading .. turret models tend to have less issues.

UV exposure, heat and low temp exposure, .. all take their tolls .. domes will last longer outdoors if protected from direct UV exposure .. yet a turret model of the same base model should last even longer.

So yes, your installer / supplier is providing sound advice here.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

Turret cams are not really more visually obtrusive than dome cams unless you are thinking about dome cams with smoked covers.

1701214039079.png

1701214112634.png