Longse Camera and positioning recommendation for garage entry

Geordon

n3wb
Reaction score
I know, another "what do I buy" thread. :rolleyes: But, before you go, I have done my fair share of reading this forum, so hopefully, can avoid the questions with obvious answers. I have a Synology 1815+ and would like to take advantage of its Surveillance module, so this will be my first camera. If using a different software solution is preferred, I am open to suggestions.

Here is I want to mount one camera (at least to start) under the eave or above/behind one of the sconces to monitor people and vehicles coming up to the garage, entering the entry door, or going around the front of the garage to the front door of the house. In the first picture, I have numbered 4 positions I thought might be good candidates for camera placement, with 4 attached pictures, corresponding to each position. I shot the pictures with a Canon SD750 (1/2.5" CCD sensor) at 5.8mm. This should give a 53 deg width Angle of View (AOV). I could reshoot with another camera to get a 60 deg AOV, if that helps.
IMG_0_2506.jpg

IMG_1_2492.jpgIMG_2_2494.jpgIMG_3_2498.jpgIMG_4_2501.jpg

My criteria for camera selection is daytime viewing with good image detail, whether it be full sunlight, overcast (as here), early morning, or early evening. I would expect IR illumination won't be of much value in non-nighttime low light situations. I have always favored larger sensors in my digital cameras, and abhor iPhone picture quality. For this reason, I am leaning heavily towards the IMX178 Longse in a turret format. If everyone tells me the IMX322/IMX323 VF Longse or Dahua makes more sense, I will take that into consideration.

If I were to get the LRDC60S500, the 6mm lens option at 62 deg AOV already gives me a wider viewing angle than these images. Will that work, and if so, where would you recommend mounting it?

If I got the LRDC60S200 or LRDC60XA200, I would have the obvious flexibility of the variable focal length, but I am concerned about what I may be losing in image quality and less sensitivity for low-light daytime conditions.

Thank you for any recommendations,

Geordon

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're going to need more than one camera. Start with the 6mm turret as that's definitely one you will need and see how you get on from there.

I would say 6mm position 4 facing path and 4mm Position 3 (maybe a bit further back) covering doors. I'm paranoid so I'd also have a 4mm top-left of garage pointing the other way. You've got plenty of IR then and you'll get good details on anyone up to no good.

I wish all help posts were as clear as this. Good job @Geordon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geordon

n3wb
Reaction score
@Del Boy, thank you for the suggestions. I retook the pictures with my Panasonic GM1 (4/3 sensor) plus 15mm lens to give the 60 deg Angle of View. Here are the new upper left (#6), replaced middle (#4), and far right (#7) positions. I will have to get a different lens to portray the 90 dev AOV. With tall trees to the south and west (garage doors face west), you can see I get a lot of filtered sunlight and shade over here, thus my desire for a more sensitive sensor.

IMG_0_2506.jpg
60AOV_6_1150251.jpg60AOV_4_1150253.jpg60AOV_7_1150258.jpg

Geordon

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't answer your questions, but I can certainly applaud them. Well-written, well-thought-out post, with relevant pictures.
I agree...good OP @Geordon!

Show me where the LRDC60S500 (IMX178 sensor) comes in a 6mm lens. The Longse product page states that the LRDC60S500 comes only in 3.6mm. I have seen all sorts of copy on AliExpress stating that the Longse LTD60 series cameras come with all sorts of different lenses...but I'm not so certain that this is true.

In addition, I agree with @Del Boy that you're going to need more than one camera to accomplish your objectives and -- in my opinion -- one of those cameras should be the big...fat...and oh so very ugly...5MP IMX178 LBW90S500 in 3.6mm

IMO

twocents.gif

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 12mm dome but can't find it on the website.

Agree that a 3.6mm fugly should be your first step.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like you're probably already aware of this, but most security cameras today are a 16:9 aspect ratio not a 4:3 like your SD750. Longsee is one of the few 4:3 options.

Regarding placement, it's hard to beat playing with the actual camera. You'll need more than 1 camera for effective coverage, but there's nothing wrong with starting out with just 1. I'd also put one each direction by the garage. I'd also put one near the corner we can see looking at the path or by the front door and one inside the garage by the door to the inside. That way you have an easy way to see if the door's open and grab the face of anybody that tires to come inside if you leave the doors up.

Other people harp on this more than me, but there's no real point in capturing walls, soffits, doors, etc on camera. Surfaces like this will also reflect a lot of IR and cause problems at night.

Geordon

n3wb
Reaction score
Should I be fine with the non-IP66 rated LRDC60S500 in any of the recommended locations on the garage? May see some snow or upswept rain under the eaves, but most should be sheltered from most precipitation. Otherwise, would a bullet be better? I have an order in progress with Amanda for 2 cameras, one each of 3.6mm and 5mm, so I can get a little variety.

Thank you,

Geordon

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
My non ip66 s500 turret lives outdoors under eves since end of 2015.

Geordon

n3wb
Reaction score
Took a few extra emails and Skype messages, but I now have a tracking number for two LRDC60S500 (3.6mm and 5mm) cameras. POE switch on order. I am looking into Blue Iris as my security software, instead of using my Synology. Hopefully, I will have something more to share in the next couple of weeks.

Geordon

Geordon

n3wb
Reaction score
I received two LRDC60S500 cameras last Friday. I plugged them into a new D-Link DES-1008PA 4+4 POE unmanaged switch with my notebook, and used IPCSearch.exe to update the IP and subnet masks on each camera. I was able to add and see both cameras at the same time in Blue Iris. AFter a short while the 5mm camera lost network presense, and was no longer being detected by the switch (no LED connection light, only POE light).

I was able to find a 12v 700ma DC adapter and used with the backup 12v injector connection on the external POE pigtail, while the network cable was connected to a non-POE port on the switch. This did not make a difference.

I disassembled the camera to check the wiring. Sometimes, while handling the innards, the camera would come back online, then it would go off the network for no apparent reason. I gave it a day to think about, then disassembled the 3.6mm camera, disconnected the incoming wires, and used the POE wiring harness as a donor in the 5mm camera. Still, nothing would work on it, so I restored the original wiring. In the process, I discovered the orange wire for network had worked lose, so I reinserted the pin back into the plug and connected the camera to the switch. To my amazement, the camera connected to the network, and IPCSearch confirmed it still had the IP address I gave it. I started up Blue Iris, and by the time it was ready to go, the camera lost its network connection again.

At this point, I believe their is something faulty in the board assemblies (there are 4 PCBs for the lens, IR, and controller), as the camera is unreliably intermittent. I have been working with one of the Longse technicians, and have requested multiple times for a replacement, but Amanda is only offering to replace the POE cable, due to the high cost of shipping, unless I place another order. Any further suggestions on how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Geordon