Looking for a better camera

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an old 3mp poe dome cam mounted on a 4 foot tall block wall to monitor the alley behind my house due to some dumping issues. The dome is old and weather faded due to the sun pointing at it half the day. I had been thinking of getting a bullet cam with the theory that the bit extending past the lens would help with the sun. A few nights ago two people were doing who knows what just out of view till one spotted my camera, bent over for a nice closeup of his face then attempted to pull the camera off the wall, running away when I stepped outside. This has me thinking that bullet and turret style cameras are not a good solution since they have lots of surfaces to grab onto. It will be a few years before I can do anything to gain height on the camera placement. Any ideas on a camera that can handle direct sun exposure and people grabbing it? I'm coming up blank, needs to be POE, work with BI and preferably under $250.

1689387348489.png

1689387371302.png
1689387433126.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Turret is better as far as that goes but someone can mess with that too if they really wanted to.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sun shades are available on Amazon. Alternatively you could make your own just making a shelf style cover - see my thread. Alternatively, you could 3d print one. Non of these solutions will help stealth and a larger cover might cut the top of the picture off although I'm sure you're not bothered about sky.

Another option to stop it being messed with and maybe give you more of a downward angle from the sun, would be to replace the camera with a turret with a long (fix and forget) zoom mounted back on your property instead of on the boundary eg a 5442 Z4H 8-32mm. IPC-HFW5442H-Z4HE (I think that's the latest - speak to Andy as many model iterations of these cameras now).

A camera mounted a long way away gives you the luxury of mounting it higher without just filming the top of people's heads as distance shallows the angle. You may still need to fabricate some kind of sunshade looking at the pictures though.

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like a sunshade is what I need. Thanks.

Wish I could do a zoomed in camera, too many things in the way.