Looking for a cam with audio without having to power a mic

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2145F-IS I have installed it over my front door hoping to add a mic onto it.

I'm realizing now I need a separate power source for the mic, which is VERY unpractical in my setup.

Wondering if I can power the mic from the the cam itself or the same POE cat6 coming into the cam? this is my only power source and this won't change.

IF not I still need to buy another cam can someone recommend me a cam with h265 dome with built in audio not needing to be powered from a separate source. All my cams are Hik aliexpress China cams for NA.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm realizing now I need a separate power source for the mic, which is VERY unpractical in my setup.
Do you have space at the camera for a PoE splitter, which would provide 12v that can be used for both the camera and the microphone?

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have space at the camera for a PoE splitter, which would provide 12v that can be used for both the camera and the microphone?
poe splitter!!! Nice didnt' even know that existed. One concern thought the POE put out 5V per port, the cam would use 5v and the mic 12v? can a standard POE put enough power out of 1 port to power both?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the specs of the active PoE splitter before buying.
Most common is to just put out 12v.
And you'd needed a split cable so the 12v can go to both camera and microphone.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hate to bother you with this, but have you used one or can you recommend one? When looking these up I'm seeing PoE splitters but I think they are really POE injectors.

I need to take my 1 PoE wire and split it to power and send data to the IPCAM and also have Secondary power outlet for an external mic.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to take my 1 PoE wire and split it to power and send data to the IPCAM and also have Secondary power outlet for an external mic.
Yes, that was the basis of my suggestion.

When looking these up I'm seeing PoE splitters but I think they are really POE injectors.
If you search for injectors - you'll get injectors.
If you search for splitters - you'll get splitters.
Examples : Amazon.co.uk: poe splitter 12v 802.3af

And you will need a power splitter cable. Check the barrel size before purchasing.
Examples : Amazon.co.uk: cctv power cable splitter

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
great thanks those were what I was seeing, some images i saw showed people adding a power source to the DC end which made me question if I was looking at the right product.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
some images i saw showed people adding a power source to the DC end which made me question if I was looking at the right product.
Often a splitter is paired with an injector when there isn't a PoE switch, which would require an inbound power source at the switch end of the cable.
But if the switch is a PoE switch - the injector at the switch end is not required as the PoE switch provides the power.

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD2135F-IS, with mic input, it does not need power(depends on the type of mic)

there was a thread on here somewere

Last edited:

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how's the sound, is it clear enough to hear? can you talk back to it. is it 2 way?