Looking for a camera for kiosk install, with ethernet and usb out. Any exist?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have many kiosks currently, and they have analog cameras in them, or glorified webcams that also output to analog encoding devices. I would love to move them to IP but as of now anyway the kiosk itself will only handle USB for it's internal recordings, while my DVR will handle analog or IP. (the kiosk records internally for one purpose, I record the same image via the DVR for security purposes) I have contacted the vendor to see about getting the kiosk software to be able to receive its stream from an IP instead of USB but that will take a while I'm sure.

What I need is a cube camera or whatever style, that would work like an ATM style install. Wide angle lens would be best, and it needs to output via wired Ethernet as normal while also having a USB output so the kiosk software would work as is. Does such a camera exist? I looked at all the cube cameras I could think of but saw none that had USB available. Just wondering, thanks for any ideas!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Apparently the answer is no lol, I knew it could not be that easy. Ah well, now I await the kiosk vendors answer about modifying the software. That should only take a couple of years.... :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
razer, im confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Is this some sort of photo booth kiosk?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The kiosks are a self service customer kiosk where they make payments and check account status and such, so kind of like an ATM. The software on the kiosk records from a camera when someone is using the kiosk, as soon as someone touches the screen it records the video camera and it also records all activity on the screen itself so when we watch the transaction on the back end we can see the customer themselves, and see what they were doing on the kiosk software itself which works well for us to see if they have errors or issues, we can see exactly what they were doing when they had trouble. It records from USB, there are no settings for this as it is built in totally.

The camera also has an encoder that makes it analog, and that analog stream is connected to my DVR for recording for security purposes, and it records on motion as someone might enter and look around and never touch the kiosk screen and then the kiosk would never record. Makes for great security footage as they usually look right at the kiosk and I get a great shot! I'd be happier if it was IP, making for an even better shot, but they are still looking into how to receive a IP stream for recording on the kiosk software side. If I had an IP camera that output both it would save me a year of their development I'm sure. I have 45 of these kiosks too.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are IP cameras with analog out, but realize that analog out will be analog and low resolution, not the HD quality from IP. The purpose of this is for camera aiming in the field but can be used permanently. For example, many of Dahua's varifocal cameras have this feature. It would make sense if you are doing this as a temporary measure in hopes of supporting IP but IP is not a standard by any means, meaning they can put in support for one camera brand and it may not likely work with other brands, even if they use a standard like ONVIF.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I believe that is why they use USB, they are capturing the stream like a web cam, so that if they change cameras its just a driver update and there are no compatibility issues. Its why I'd like to find a USB and IP camera so they would not have to worry about the IP side, that would be mine to worry about and I use Exacq so the vast majority of cameras will work.

The kisok software is a windows application in the end, it loads on boot and you never even see the windows desktop or explorer. But for drivers and everything else it's running Windows 7 in the background.