Looking for a good system for inside usage with a high bitrate

Meow92

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new here. My main usage for security cameras is for my cats. I foster kittens and older cats and want there to be cameras around to catch any cute moments, which I can then save and upload to social media. Before you laugh, it DOES work to get kitties adopted.

I'm just trying to find the right system. Everything I've tried has had a crap bitrate.

I've used Nest cams, which I ended up hating because of their low bitrate and stupid UI and fees.
Now I'm trying a night owl system. It's their 3mp analog system. Quality is kinda meh. Not terrible but not great. And their bitrate maxes out at 6144kbps at 3mp.

I'd like at least 4 cameras. Budget is $1000. Ideally, a system that can handle a high bitrate. 4k looks like garbage if it's a 4Mbps bitrate. Would much rather have 10 Mbps 1080p. I've toyed with some IP cams from Amcrest and Yi. The issue with those is that most of them still only operate on 2.4ghz only. And 2.4ghz around here is way oversaturated due to tightly populated homes.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience Hikvision cameras tend to have much higher bit rate caps than Dahua, but I do not have especially recent experience with Hikvision.