Looking for a replacement poe switch?

99ls1tj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My bvtech poe switch bit the dust a few days ago, so I'm looking for a replacement. Any recommendations? I need at least 6 ports, so I'm probably looking for a 8 port switch. Thx

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two of these and also had a BVTech switch bite the dust. BVTech is using subpar power supplies that won't start under load like if power drops for a minute and pops right back on. These are using robust power supplies and will start under load.

bentson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Being a little conservative, I only use 8 port switches. That way if one fails for any reason, I potentially only lose half my cameras. By being creative with which ones are on which switch I can still keep a full view. It also allows enough open ports to plug cameras into from the failed switch. I have no idea if the 16 port has a fan but can tell you the 8 port doesn't. They run slightly warm, not hot, with a nominal load of 11 cameras on each.

I'd stay away from the cheapies. They probably all use marginal power supplies like BVTech does. They're cheap for a reason. As @looney2ns says "buy once, cry once".

bentson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score

amdpowered

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're handy with configuring a managed switch, I recommend the following. They will do POE+, and likely be cheaper than the others listed in this thread. Of course my source of these switches is eBay, so they are used, but so far have been reliable. There is also 48 port versions if you replace the 24 with 48. I'd read the data sheets to understand their limitations with POE.

L2 only - icx6430-24p
L3 - icx6450-24p

ICX6430/6450 Datasheet

If you need 802.3bt (POE++), then icx7450-24p. But this is much more expensive.

I found these recommendation from the following:

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)