Looking for a setup tutorial for a HikVision Ip camera

fin301

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

New to CCTV and just bought my first HikVision camera Ip camera model numberDS-2CD2142FWD-IS. I also have a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P switch to power the cameraover Ethernet cable. My router is the BT Hub 5. No DVR as just going to let it record to micro sd.

Just wondering if any of you have any tips on setup for a newbie or know of any good tutorials for this type of camera before I attempted to set it up.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks for any help.

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi fin,

This forum is a goldmine of information from some very knowledgeable users. Use the search function and search for a few keywords of what you'd like to learn more about, and I'm sure you'll find a number of threads on most topics.

With regards to basic, initial setup, Hikvision's SADP tool is very useful. You can download it from their European download portal. You'll want to use SADP to activate your camera and assign it a static IP address on your LAN. It will not have a default password, and will have arrived inactive, so you'll need to activate it with a strong password before you can get stuck in. Afterwards, you can access that static IP address via a web browser - avoid Chrome and Microsoft Edge as they don't support the required plugin.

Once you're in, you'll want to let the camera format your microSD card by navigating to Configuration >> Storage >> Storage Management

I created a lengthy megathread of guides and tutorials for Hikvision devices over on our forums which you might want to check out too, as it covers a number of common functions, especially for a first-time Hikvision user.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
YouTube is also your friend. Nelly's channel has setup videos for hikvision cameras. While the models may be different the basic setup is pretty much the same for them.

fin301

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Kieran,

Sorry for the late reply. I have now had a chance to have a search through the forum and also look at the guides that you linked. I have now managed to get 2 cameras set up to access remotely thanks to all the info that has been provided. I have still got a ton to learn but just wanted to say a big thank you for the info you have provided.

Fin