Looking for an IP Cam with wifi zoom and higher fps for sport streams

dwi110

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i always was a silent reader here. But as my hobby of ip cam sport streaming is growing, i wanted to become now active here.
I do portable sport streams. at the moment im using Reolink c2 pro dome cams. They are great, they have 1440p and 5ghz wifi. But i stream football, a sport with fast motions. All the last years im looking for some 50/60 fps cameras to show up.
Hopefully you guys can maybe help me, to find an ip cam that would be an improvement over the c2 pro.

So the camera NEEDS to have
  • 3x optical zoom at least
  • build in microphone
  • 5ghz wifi.

I stream over RTSP. So at the moment i put them on 6m tripods with a powerbank (the reolink c2 has usb power, but i wouldnt mind 12v adapter for any other cam) and it works like a charm. However is there anybody that knows at least 1 camera, that hast these specs and a higher frame rate (over 30)? Or at least a higher resolution then 1440p?
Im unable to find anything :( maybe some dahua, but i lost the overview

Thank you guys

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets and most monitors LOL. Many of my cameras are running at 12FPS.

If your unique case requires that type of FPS, you will find surveillance cameras are not going to meet your needs and you need to get a camera capable of that - or spend some serious money.

We have had recently people come here after purchasing cameras in two instances where they were wanting 60FPS - one was a tennis club and another was a youth soccer club. In both cases they found that these types of cameras were not capable of what they were wanting to do. Sure the cameras could run faster FPS, but it still didn't provide them with the level of detail they were looking for. I recall the soccer club had a decent quality PTZ ($800) that is fine for a residential or retail/commercial installation, but to cover the action of the soccer field it wasn't capable of meeting their needs. And because of the extremely fast motion, it was creating a halo type effect around the action (which can be seen in certain lighting conditions). These cameras are good, but not good enough to catch the rotation of a ball for example.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i always was a silent reader here. But as my hobby of ip cam sport streaming is growing, i wanted to become now active here.
I do portable sport streams. at the moment im using Reolink c2 pro dome cams. They are great, they have 1440p and 5ghz wifi. But i stream football, a sport with fast motions. All the last years im looking for some 50/60 fps cameras to show up.
Hopefully you guys can maybe help me, to find an ip cam that would be an improvement over the c2 pro.

So the camera NEEDS to have
  • 3x optical zoom at least
  • build in microphone
  • 5ghz wifi.

I stream over RTSP. So at the moment i put them on 6m tripods with a powerbank (the reolink c2 has usb power, but i wouldnt mind 12v adapter for any other cam) and it works like a charm. However is there anybody that knows at least 1 camera, that hast these specs and a higher frame rate (over 30)? Or at least a higher resolution then 1440p?
Im unable to find anything :( maybe some dahua, but i lost the overview

Thank you guys
you would need something that would be more geared towards action video instead of security video. Something that is going to have shutter speeds like 1/8000 to 1/15000 with at least 30 fps. Its going to be in the mid level to high end market and most likely will not be wifi.

dwi110

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah, i know that these cams are hard to find. Just wanted to make sure, nobody here has maybe a cam that would do it.

GoPro are not reliable enough and they got to hot. I could do it wired, but i lose portability with that. The C2 Pro from Reolink are doing a pretty decent job at 30fps. Was just looking if there is any option to upgrade, When i would go the wired route, i would rather switch to sdi/ndi cams.
Thought with alle the new ai cams, there would have been maybe one, where u can put all the ai things off and it would have enough cpu power for 1080@60. i almost think, there is camera that is capable of that but the soft/firmware is not yet available, because almost no one will need 60fps

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah, i know that these cams are hard to find. Just wanted to make sure, nobody here has maybe a cam that would do it.

GoPro are not reliable enough and they got to hot. I could do it wired, but i lose portability with that. The C2 Pro from Reolink are doing a pretty decent job at 30fps. Was just looking if there is any option to upgrade, When i would go the wired route, i would rather switch to sdi/ndi cams.
Thought with alle the new ai cams, there would have been maybe one, where u can put all the ai things off and it would have enough cpu power for 1080@60. i almost think, there is camera that is capable of that but the soft/firmware is not yet available, because almost no one will need 60fps
You can find security cams that have high shutter speed, they are used for low lighting. Because its the motion blur you are probably trying to overcome, and that is more of a shutter function than a FPS issue. High FPS requires a much more powerful processor than the low end security cameras have ($400+), but 30FPS at shutter speeds less than 1/100 is suitable for security applications, but you need a significantly faster shutter for fast moving things like athletes like 1/10000.

dwi110

n3wb
Reaction score
You can find security cams that have high shutter speed, they are used for low lighting. Because its the motion blur you are probably trying to overcome, and that is more of a shutter function than a FPS issue. High FPS requires a much more powerful processor than the low end security cameras have ($400+), but 30FPS at shutter speeds less than 1/100 is suitable for security applications, but you need a significantly faster shutter for fast moving things like athletes like 1/10000.

Oh you are absolutely right. Are there any suggestions for a cam with higher shutter speed?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any quality camera like a dahua or hikvision can manually set a higher shutter.

But as I mentioned, these are not designed for fast moving sports.

This was the picture someone posted when they tried to use a better camera for a soccer field - you get a lot of halo type effect around that kind of fast motion. They just are not designed for the type of thing you see on TV watching a sporting event even if you can run a faster shutter. The sensors are just too small.

1665585155186.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not just use regular cameras? I haven't kept up with what's out there now but I'd guess you could get some of the small mirrorless cams and/or older versions for about the same cost that are better suited for the purpose.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh you are absolutely right. Are there any suggestions for a cam with higher shutter speed?
What you are looking for is what I call "Broadcast" style cameras. This class of them noticeably will have a SDI connector as well as an Ethernet port.

Here is an example of a low end broadcast camera that is used for teleconferencing and TV broadcast

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I was simply going to also say that shutter speed and frames per second are not the same thing. You definitely will need a fast shutter speed to capture the action without motion blurring - ensuring each individual frame is crisp and clear. However increasing frame rates simply increases the number of individual frames which uses more data and you have to push that data around and record it. Using 30 fps will require twice the bandwidth of 15 fps and 60 fps will obviously require 4x the bandwidth. Given that this system is designed to be mobile and likely using WiFi, I suspect total bandwidth is going to be a issue - especially for WiFi transmission. It will be even worse if you are trying to live stream any of this. Overall less is probably going to be better. I think you can find a very happy medium somewhere between 15 and 30 fps.

dwi110

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for you ideas.

The wifi bandwith is a problem. Thats why i switched to 5ghz. 8 cameras with 2 wifi 5ghz mesh routers + live stream is working with no problems.

Totally right, i think i have more benefit from shutter speed then from going to 30 to 60 fps.

Broadcast cams are a good topic - yet they are all wired solutions that i found so far.

maybe i need to go back to cables

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thank you for you ideas.

The wifi bandwith is a problem. Thats why i switched to 5ghz. 8 cameras with 2 wifi 5ghz mesh routers + live stream is working with no problems.

Totally right, i think i have more benefit from shutter speed then from going to 30 to 60 fps.

Broadcast cams are a good topic - yet they are all wired solutions that i found so far.

maybe i need to go back to cables
WIFi to begin with don't handle many cameras well. If you need wireless on cameras, RFIP is the next level. Ubiquiti calls their amature RFIP, UISP. I find it interesting that 5G tried to take part of these amateur bands (5Ghz and 60Ghz), when in reality they only took over and use their 3G band that they are downing those transponders and replacing them with 5G.
An example of a RFIP wireless would be a Ubiquiti Lite-AP with omni antenna for the base station at the NVR, and Nanobeam 5AC with a POE switch for the camera network nodes at each remote location.