Looking for an IP, never thought it would be so difficult to find

Reaction score
Hello,
New here, but have spent my entire career designing CMOS image sensors. Not terribly knowledgeable regarding camera systems, but know a little about the sensor at the heart of the camera. Any questions, I be happy to answer. I know where the flaws are in just about every sensor in mass production today.

My question, so i thought would be simple. I just want a real IP camera..... you know, has a web server in it, connects directly to the internet (via wifi) and with a little router diddling can be viewed from any browser anywhere. The only thing I can find is crap, garbage that wants a special router, or demands activation via a phone app (yeah right) or only works via some captive website, etc. etc. etc.
Do these not exist?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
New here, but have spent my entire career designing CMOS image sensors. Not terribly knowledgeable regarding camera systems, but know a little about the sensor at the heart of the camera. Any questions, I be happy to answer. I know where the flaws are in just about every sensor in mass production today.

My question, so i thought would be simple. I just want a real IP camera..... you know, has a web server in it, connects directly to the internet (via wifi) and with a little router diddling can be viewed from any browser anywhere. The only thing I can find is crap, garbage that wants a special router, or demands activation via a phone app (yeah right) or only works via some captive website, etc. etc. etc.
Do these not exist?
Yes, 99 percent of the cameras discussed here can do that. You dont want wifi...see wiki cliffnotes.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A simple word of advice is to say simply, don't fall prey to low price, sweet spot offers. So many cameras out there in the $50 range that people say "well that's not too bad" but in fact, you really do get what you pay for.

If I had to do it all over again from the start, I'd have went Dahua starlight all the way. More expensive? Yes, and it would have prolonged the amount of time it took to build out my whole system. But in the end (which I dont think really exists. is there an END to a build out???), I would have a completely great network of cams instead of a "meh....its ok for the price" network of cams.

Reaction score
A simple word of advice is to say simply, don't fall prey to low price, sweet spot offers. So many cameras out there in the $50 range that people say "well that's not too bad" but in fact, you really do get what you pay for.

If I had to do it all over again from the start, I'd have went Dahua starlight all the way. More expensive? Yes, and it would have prolonged the amount of time it took to build out my whole system. But in the end (which I dont think really exists. is there an END to a build out???), I would have a completely great network of cams instead of a "meh....its ok for the price" network of cams.
What @area651 said. I used to have a couple of Chinese 4431C-A turrets outside, precisely because they were inexpensive. Never really liked their night/IR video, and finally replaced them with the then-new 2231 varifocal turrets. These 2 MP Dahua Starlight turrets have been rock solid reliable for years, and as much as I'd like newer cams, it's very difficult to justify replacing them when these are still performing so well. Seriously, paying $130 to $170 for a Dahua international camera sounds pricy at first, but when they just work and work very well for so long, it makes so much more sense.