Looking for battery/solar operated Camera to record traffic

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a battery operated camera that I can mount for a few days on a light post and record traffic. We are having problems with people using our street as a cut through in the mornings to get to the freeway. The community had come together to request a no right turn to our street from 7a-9a but the city is slow moving on this type of request and the more information we provide the better.

I currently have my Dahua SD52C225U set up to record morning traffic at my house which recorded 713 cars in that 2 hour period. The problem is we also want to document how many cars blow threw a stop sign at an intersection about .5 mile down from my house. I might have a neighbor that I can install a camera on their roof, but I may have to start on a light post by the intersection.

I just need to document cars through that intersection. Don't need to identify plates or people.

The only one that has peaked my interest is the reolink Argus/pro/2. Does anyone have any experience with these and or other recommendations? Thank you!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a battery operated camera that I can mount for a few days on a light post and record traffic. .......but I may have to start on a light post by the intersection.
Sorry I cannot recommend a camera setup for your needs but I do want to offer this, in case you had not considered it: if that "light post" is a municipal or state-owned street light, traffic signal or sign post in the public right-of-way, you'll require their written permission and I would be surprised if they would allow it.

But...there are commercial units that they themselves use for that purpose, and some can be rented. Because those units are made by a business that could be recognized and deployed by the city or state, they are more likely to approve its temporary use to accomplish your task.

If it were me, I would ask them for a recommended vendors list of such "camera-based traffic counting equipment" so as to not spend a lot of time only to discover they won't allow / approve it, especially if it's a home-brewed setup.

Best of luck on your project!

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry I cannot recommend a camera setup for your needs but I do want to offer this, in case you had not considered it: if that "light post" is a municipal or state-owned street light, traffic signal or sign post in the public right-of-way, you'll require their written permission and I would be surprised if they would allow it.

But...there are commercial units that they themselves use for that purpose, and some can be rented. Because those units are made by a business that could be recognized and deployed by the city or state, they are more likely to approve its temporary use to accomplish your task.

If it were me, I would ask them for a recommended vendors list of such "camera-based traffic counting equipment" so as to not spend a lot of time only to discover they won't allow / approve it, especially if it's a home-brewed setup.

Best of luck on your project!
Thanks Tony, that was a concern of mine as well and why I am hoping to use a neighbors house but so far the closest one in our watch group is 3 houses down from the stop sign but it might work.

Currently we've only seen radar trailer boxes with a camera that record/show your speed for the city surveys in our area but I will definitely look into the commercial/rental aspect. As you can imagine it took a while to count those 713 cars myself on my BI set up even at 4x speed....

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Rather than cameras is there the possibility to rent one of those gadgets that counts traffic as it runs over the hose (?) laying across the road?

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rather than cameras is there the possibility to rent one of those gadgets that counts traffic as it runs over the hose (?) laying across the road?
That's ultimately what the city will end up doing if we get a traffic study. We want to show up with as much ammunition to move forward as quickly as possible, so video of cars running the intersection with out stopping and the car counts from my home cameras will hopefully show them that they need to do a new traffic study on our street.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was thinking if you (or the group) could rent one it might just be easier to get your preliminary result than setting up a remote camera and counting cars on FFW video clips.