looking for better cameras

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi as the title says i'm looking for better cameras to view the birds in my aviary's. iv'e had these cameras in the aviary's for over a year now. they were quite cheap cameras just so i could see if they would be ok and survive the birds and the weather just for testing as such . now ia'm quite happy with the way they are set up. so what i now want is a better quality camera my needs are crystal clear picture good quality sound and that's about it really. i won't name these cameras as i don't see the point as i want to replace them these are ip cameras plugged directly into my router and are powered with 12v plugs so just looking to do a swap. as you can see in each video the picture quality is ok close up but not so clear further away. so any suggestions welcome. i don't really need ir although most cameras have them and one other important requirement must be vandal proof,,

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Is this location indoors or outdoors?
  • If indoors, how is this location lighted?
  • Why "IR is not important?"
Generally, most here recommend Dahua Starlight cameras. The recommended camera form factor (dome, bullet, turret) depends on where and how the cameras will be mounted.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
both aviary's outdoors.
IR not really needed as these are for daytime viewing and not security cams.
these are bullet type although it does not really matter both north facing so the sun is behind for most of the day.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aha! I thought that might be the answer!

It sounds to me as if you definitely may want a dome solution. As good night-time images are not a requirement I'll not recommend Dahua Starlight 2MP cameras and instead wait for one of our other members to suggest a camera which provides outstanding images when lots of light is available. thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking that a good PTZ camera should give you spectacular images of these beautiful creatures.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks.. iv'e thought about a ptz but i think i'd prefer a good wide angle camera. from were the camera is placed to the food and water bowls are is roughly 20ft 2mp should be ok as i am only going to be viewing on a laptop not a big tv screen,

Reaction score
I’m gonna throw this out here for a recommendation, but more importantly further education. I’ve been doing my due diligence on new cameras and so far the IPC-HDBW5231E-ZE looks like a good picture quality, decent price, and I know your not concerned about low light, but it works great in lowlight.

As I said, for furthering the discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua makes a very nice 3x, 4x, 12x, and 25x PTZ dome cameras; don't underestimate how much detail these cameras can capture...now how wide the focal area is. For example, the Dahua SD60225U-HNI 2MP 25x Starlight PTZ Network Camera with a Focal Length of 4.8mm (zoomed out) to 120mm (zoomed in). Alternatively, the Dahua SD12203T-GN is a 2MP 3x Starlight PTZ Network Camera with a Focal Length of 2.7mm (zoomed in) to 8.1mm (zoomed out).

2.7mm is (just about...some exceptions exist) the widest view you'll find on a stock camera.

In addition, remember that a PTZ allows you to have a vast number of "preset" positions and zoom levels which can be immensely helpful. Also, think of a PTZ as a camera which is infinitely (remotely) adjustable in order to capture to precise picture you wnat/need.

Reaction score
Dahua makes a very nice 3x, 4x, 12x, and 25x PTZ dome cameras; don't underestimate how much detail these cameras can capture...now how wide the focal area is. For example, the Dahua SD60225U-HNI 2MP 25x Starlight PTZ Network Camera with a Focal Length of 4.8mm (zoomed out) to 120mm (zoomed in). Alternatively, the Dahua SD12203T-GN is a 2MP 3x Starlight PTZ Network Camera with a Focal Length of 2.7mm (zoomed in) to 8.1mm (zoomed out).

2.7mm is (just about...some exceptions exist) the widest view you'll find on a stock camera.

In addition, remember that a PTZ allows you to have a vast number of "preset" positions and zoom levels which can be immensely helpful. Also, think of a PTZ as a camera which is infinitely (remotely) adjustable in order to capture to precise picture you wnat/need.
Q, fist bump.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest IPC-HDBW1831R or IPC-HFW1831E

They are low cost 8 megapixel Dahuas. They don't do amazingly in low light, but better than other 8 megapixel cams of a similar price.

As an alternative, IPC-HFW4239T-ASE is a 2MP starlight with a large lens and no infrared. It can do an amazing job of color capture with very little light. Better than the original "5231" starlights. Have a look at some of the pics I captured with it at 1/3 second exposure time. IPC-HFW4239T-ASE (Full Color Starlight) as a weather cam

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
they all seem good suggestions . iv' been on ytube and viewed them. thank-you all for giving me plenty to choose from,,

Reaction score
I would suggest IPC-HDBW1831R or IPC-HFW1831E

They are low cost 8 megapixel Dahuas. They don't do amazingly in low light, but better than other 8 megapixel cams of a similar price.

As an alternative, IPC-HFW4239T-ASE is a 2MP starlight with a large lens and no infrared. It can do an amazing job of color capture with very little light. Better than the original "5231" starlights. Have a look at some of the pics I captured with it at 1/3 second exposure time. IPC-HFW4239T-ASE (Full Color Starlight) as a weather cam
bp2008,

With regard to IR vs Starlight with a large lens. In general, lowlight conditions, would it better to investigate / research Starlight with large lens over IR. Or is IR better and your recommendation is based on jon2’s requirements?

From my early education, why can’t jon2 have both. Remember, I’m in the education stage.

Thanks