Looking for camera with good optics to monitor aquarium

waverz

n3wb
Reaction score
I just setup a new 80 gallon freshwater aquarium that I would like to be able to monitor remotely will I'm at work and away from the home.

I run a blue iris server and am currently running several foscam c1's and a couple other foscam outdoor models.

I would like to find a camera with better optics and resolution for the aquarium than the foscams can provide.

All the cameras I have now I are on wifi using Linksys Velop mesh routers but I do have hardwired ethernet available if need be.

Not sure if I would need ptz functions, I just want something that produces a decent picture and frame rate which my foscams don't really seem to do.

Can someone recommend a camera that would meet this criteria?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
An aquarium cam! I like it!

Will this need to operate under low light conditions, or will the aquarium lights be on (and at a bright setting) while you're wanting to view/record the aquarium?

waverz

n3wb
Reaction score
An aquarium cam! I like it!

Will this need to operate under low light conditions, or will the aquarium lights be on (and at a bright setting) while you're wanting to view/record the aquarium?
Thanks for the reply.

I'm just looking to be able to monitor it when the lights are on mostly.

I'm not exactly sure where I would mount the camera or what angle I would like to view it from.

It's possible I just mount the camera to a tripod and change viewing angles once in awhile.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't really have any specific camera recommendations but I've done the same and it's a little harder to do well than you'd think. Mostly due to camera angle and position. Easy enough to set up some kind of cam and see things at some level but probably not an ideal view unless yours is located where that all just happens to work out. None of mine are like that unfortunately. i.e., You can set up a tripod and get the same view that you have in your pic but then you have a tripod sitting in front of your aquarium. Obviously not a great solution. I've used a variety of gooseneck and articulated arms, etc., all with that same issue - you've got something hanging off of your aquarium/stand and to get the best view it's kind of in the way otherwise. There are some dedicated cameras which basically sit on the glass that are sold to do it but I've not used any of them. Like a lot of aquarium stuff they tend to be overly expensive.

In general, wider-angle lens tends to work best (assuming that you'll have it closer to the tank at least). 2.8mm or lower if you can get it. 4MP since you'll want to see more detail and zoom in at times even if just digital zoom. PTZ might be useful but I'd rather have one that gives me a full normal view without having to pan and with enough detail to see individual fish. Higher frame rates work better as you've seen.

As I have mine now it's on a shelf across the room and I can at least see that it's up and running, water level, etc. I can zoom in but I can't really watch individual fish, etc., as well as I'd like. I can get that aspect better by positioning the cam closer but then again that means something hanging off of the aquarium/stand all the time and that narrows the field of view.

Last edited: