Looking for cheap "mortar" cameras for use with H-Series NVR

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Mortar" is probably not a good name, but I'm looking for some cameras to "fill in the cracks" of my system. Small, not so significant areas where I'd like coverage, but not at $150/each.

I'm excited to be getting my first system, scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I ordered 4 4MP bullet cameras and a 16 channel H-Series NVR with a 4 TB HD. I was hoping to find some cameras for under $50 to fill the cracks. Any suggestions? I saw the thread where someone reviewed the top-201 cameras. Based on what I read, I would have ordered one to try, BUT... being that this is my first system and I'm not 100% positive on how they work, I'm reluctant. Specifically, I want to setup my system for remote viewing on my phone. Nayr suggested I upgrade to open source firmware for my router and go with VPN. I've managed to install dd-wrt and plan on going with OpenVPN. Still reading and learning about all the security concerns. Hope I didn't bite off too much.

Anyway, will these cheap cameras (top-201) still be viewable remotely without using the browser interface? Does the NVR firmware see the cheap cameras in the same way it does the H-series? I realize I probably won't get motion detection and that's okay AS LONG AS the NVR continuous records the cheap cameras and will allow remote viewing of live and recorded videos. Am I expecting too much from these little cameras?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the TOP-201 cameras unless you're trying to hide them indoors or in a sheltered spot and really need different lens selections. If you want to spend a few dollars more for an outdoor camera, try something like this- http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IP-Camera-PoE-720P-960P-1080P-Optional-Anti-Vandal-Dome-Camera-IP-Outdoor-Indoor-Vandal-proof/1182439_32580365934.html

I've got a few of these on order to see how I like them. I'm quite happy with their indoor cousin for the price which was $34 shipped. Good as a cheap "what's going on" camera but I haven't had much luck speeding up the minimum night exposure rate in auto mode. The setting is there but doesn't seem to actually change anything. Day picture on the indoor one is sharper with better colours than a Hik 2032 minibullet I've tested side by side. Night static image is MUCH better than the Hik. The advantage isn't as wide with moving subjects in darkness but hey, $34 right? The outdoor ones are less than $10 more with the IMX322 chipset. Lower resolution ones are even cheaper.

If the budget allows, a Dahua or Hik would have better firmware if you're going to tweak exposure settings, particularly if you'll be using an external illuminator of some kind.

I'm not sure what you mean by "H-Series NVR" but if the camera connects via ONVIF to any NVR it can be viewed and recorded like any other camera on the NVR as long as you don't mind not getting motion event recording.

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the TOP-201 cameras unless you're trying to hide them
^ This

indoors or in a sheltered spot and really need different lens selections. If you want to spend a few dollars more for an outdoor camera, try something like this- http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/IP-Camera-PoE-720P-960P-1080P-Optional-Anti-Vandal-Dome-Camera-IP-Outdoor-Indoor-Vandal-proof/1182439_32580365934.html

I've got a few of these on order to see how I like them. I'm quite happy with their indoor cousin for the price which was $34 shipped. Good as a cheap "what's going on" camera but I haven't had much luck speeding up the minimum night exposure rate in auto mode. The setting is there but doesn't seem to actually change anything. Day picture on the indoor one is sharper with better colours than a Hik 2032 minibullet I've tested side by side. Night static image is MUCH better than the Hik. The advantage isn't as wide with moving subjects in darkness but hey, $34 right? The outdoor ones are less than $10 more with the IMX322 chipset. Lower resolution ones are even cheaper.
Price is good. I thought people here recommended against Domes? Or is that not considered a dome?

If the budget allows, a Dahua or Hik would have better firmware if you're going to tweak exposure settings, particularly if you'll be using an external illuminator of some kind.
I was planning on external illumination. Especially with the top-201's. Are the exposure settings in their firmware inadequate for external illumination? I've seen various versions of the top-201. Some have the IR cut, some don't. I've even seen some with IR leds.

I'm not sure what you mean by "H-Series NVR" but if the camera connects via ONVIF to any NVR it can be viewed and recorded like any other camera on the NVR as long as you don't mind not getting motion event recording.
"H-series" is the Nelly's branded Hikvision.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
These are what are called eyeball domes. They have the front like a bullet but the form kinda like a dome. Basically a turret. The ones that are generally recommended against here are the ones that have the bubble around the workings of the lens LEDs et cetera. I picked these because I expect them to have the same guts as the indoor version that I ordered from the same company so they aren't quite recommended blind.

I've seen some night video from TOP-201 cams and it wasn't very good. I've no experience with their firmware but the sensor and waterproof/vandal resistant format of what I recommended is much better than the 201s, which are kinda like the camera equivalent of a build-a-bear. No matter what you build, it ain't gonna be waterproof, vandalproof, or scary.

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before I decided to buy a real surveillance system, I bought three HooToo 211's. They were pretty crappy. Had lots of problems with them and the web interface absolutely sucks! However, most of the problems I had were due to being wireless. Lose a signal and they go through a reset that crashes them and/or loses the ptz home position. That and losing power or signal can result in the camera "patrolling" randomly rendering it completely useless.

They're not weather proof of course, made of plastic, run on 5v and not real tough. But, if hardwired they seem to work okay for a little 1MP camera. I just tried connecting it to my H-series nvr and actually succeeded! Not only that, they seem to respond ten times better to the nvr interfaces ptz controller than it did to the HooToo Oem AND ISpy!

I'm not recommending them, but I have to say, for $30 they're pretty impressive