Looking for connector weatherproofing tips

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just ran power ro my unheated, uninsulated metal pole barn and will be putting a few cameras out there. I'm using a pair of Loco M5's.

All connections will be inside the barn (protected from direct rain/snow but not from condensation, wild Midwest temp swings, and nuisance birds). I'm planning on using the weatherproof ethernet end connectors supplied with the cameras, and putting some dielectric grease on before connecting.

My question is whether or not I should enclose the unmanaged switch in a weatherproof box and throw a desiccant bag or oxygen absorber in with it, or will it be fine left out? I also would like to connect all power plugs to a surge protector strip. Again, will this be OK long term, or should I put inside of a sealed box? I'm not sure what the safety ramifications are for enclosing the strip and any wall warts plugged into it (heat concerns).

Anybody with outdoor setups: how are you doing it?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple switches in barns. I have used fairly large tuperware clones to house them,
and leave very small holes in the bottom. It seems the condensation does not bother, the heat
from the equipment and the holes on the bottom corner keep them clear.
I always use dielectric grease on all connections, and coax seal on anything actually outside.

You can buy large desiccant bags that are reusable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's any help, I've had a switch in an unheated shed, with a leaky roof, for over two years. It's not in any kind of enclosure, just mounted on the wall, and it's working fine. As with everything YMMV.

Reaction score
For all my outdoor RJ45 ethernet connections, I go one step more:
1.) dielectric grease
2.) use of the supplied weather proof connector
3.) heat shrink tubing with adhesive (2 parts: 1/2" and 1")