looking for Dog/Cat deterrent

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where I live we have about 10 days in a year with a freezing tempature.
So I can live with this limitation.
Where I live in the South of the US, it is about half of that for us down here. So far this winter it has only been a couple of days below freezing.
So you have to pull your hose in, not that big of a deal.

Which it had Facial Recon., could be used to keep Mother-in-laws away, LOL

DOOD

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it make a human audible noise? I prefer not to wake up during the night if a cat passes by...
The sprinkler also makes a noise when triggered, but i'ts not too load.
Its a very high pitched tone. depending where you have the tone dail set, you may hear a whistle noise if stood next to it but it is definitly not loud.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I take it that kindly asking the pet owners to keep their pets off your property would only open up a can of angry worms. It's funny how responsible people are considered the bad guy in these situations whereas those not abiding by local ordinances do things at the expense of others and feel like it's okay. Or perhaps you have feral cats and dogs running loose. I hate to be that old guy shaking my fist and yelling "get off my lawn" but damn, why can't people be respectful of other people's property?

I have one of these signs in my yard but people are so dumb they read it to mean that it's acceptable to have dogs urinate on the lawn. If you see a sign like this then probably be best just to take your dog elsewhere. People are so stupid!!

1676233028508.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I take it that kindly asking the pet owners to keep their pets off your property would only open up a can of angry worms. It's funny how responsible people are considered the bad guy in these situations whereas those not abiding by local ordinances do things at the expense of others and feel like it's okay. Or perhaps you have feral cats and dogs running loose. I hate to be that old guy shaking my fist and yelling "get off my lawn" but damn, why can't people be respectful of other people's property?

I have one of these signs in my yard but people are so dumb they read it to mean that it's acceptable to have dogs urinate on the lawn. If you see a sign like this then probably be best just to take your dog elsewhere. People are so stupid!!

View attachment 154087
Some places collect stool samples for DNA Identifying...

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The feral cats come in waves on our farm. Some months, I will see several, like a whole load of them got dumped off at the road at once and then a month or so later, they are all gone. If they stick around more than a month, I manually adjust the population back to zero, myself. Could be coyotes eating them. I have zero requirements for feral felines anywhere on the farm......

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The feral cats come in waves on our farm. Some months, I will see several, like a whole load of them got dumped off at the road at once and then a month or so later, they are all gone. If they stick around more than a month, I manually adjust the population back to zero, myself. Could be coyotes eating them. I have zero requirements for feral felines anywhere on the farm......
May be our only source of meat in the future ;)

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 154087
As a matter of fact my yard became a zoo, seriously.
There are pet owners who are lazy to take their dog for a walk, so they release them in early morning: 3:00 to 5:00 am or in other hours where they assume people will not notice or be home.
One of the dog found my yard as inviting place and made it its constant place, i'm too lazy to plan a stakeout, the dog doesn't come every night, it usually comes 3 nights a week.
Other unleashed dogs, also visit, probably follow the smell.
There is no real enforcement in my city of many rules, let a lone pet related.
Also, there are coyote that pass in the yard, but they are cat/dog friendly, they only eat dead animals or leftovers.
Also, there are also a few porcupines who made my yard part of their path for finding food.
There are many stray cats who visit the yard and find it nice, since it has a lot of sand and sun.
The coyotes and porcupines come from a nearby park.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
As a matter of fact my yard became a zoo, seriously.
There are pet owners who are lazy to take their dog for a walk, so they release them in early morning: 3:00 to 5:00 am or in other hours where they assume people will not notice or be home.
One of the dog found my yard as inviting place and made it its constant place, i'm too lazy to plan a stakeout, the dog doesn't come every night, it usually comes 3 nights a week.
Other unleashed dogs, also visit, probably follow the smell.
There is no real enforcement in my city of many rules, let a lone pet related.
Also, there are coyote that pass in the yard, but they are cat/dog friendly, they only eat dead animals or leftovers.
Also, there are also a few porcupines who made my yard part of their path for finding food.
There are many stray cats who visit the yard and find it nice, since it has a lot of sand and sun.
The coyotes and porcupines come from a nearby park.
I have no problem with people having as many pets as they want on their own property. When they wander over onto my farm property and start harassing the poultry, hogs and cattle, then it becomes a problem quite quickly. I will go directly speak with the owners face to face once and in a nice conversation, kindly ask them to contain their pets on their own property. Most people are sincerely apologetic and resolve the problem quickly and it is never an issue again. I had one neighbor that just didn't care, called me every name in the book, wanted to know if I knew who their uncle was and that their stray dogs never left their yard. I quietly left and the next week, I saw their pack of stray dogs chasing the cows through the pasture again. I eliminated the threat to my livestock, notified the Sheriffs office and then left a notification on that neighbors phone to come retrieve the remains of their stray dogs up by the road. They came and got them, Sheriff visited them, they lied and said the dogs were not theirs. Not my problem anymore. They lost their house the next year and left the neighborhood.

Feral cats are just as damaging. Not so much with the livestock, but with the native wildlife and damaging buildings. Plus, they multiply like rabbits.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have no problem with people having as many pets as they want on their own property. When they wander over onto my farm property and start harassing the poultry, hogs and cattle, then it becomes a problem quite quickly. I will go directly speak with the owners face to face once and in a nice conversation, kindly ask them to contain their pets on their own property. Most people are sincerely apologetic and resolve the problem quickly and it is never an issue again. I had one neighbor that just didn't care, called me every name in the book, wanted to know if I knew who their uncle was and that their stray dogs never left their yard. I quietly left and the next week, I saw their pack of stray dogs chasing the cows through the pasture again. I eliminated the threat to my livestock, notified the Sheriffs office and then left a notification on that neighbors phone to come retrieve the remains of their stray dogs up by the road. They came and got them, Sheriff visited them, they lied and said the dogs were not theirs. Not my problem anymore. They lost their house the next year and left the neighborhood.

Feral cats are just as damaging. Not so much with the livestock, but with the native wildlife and damaging buildings. Plus, they multiply like rabbits.
There many dongs that not stray dogs, I can see they have collar on their neck, but I don't know who is the owner (probably lives nearby, but guessing not on my street).
To find every dog owner is a too big of an effort for me, I prefer to give the dog a wet shower in a cold day, hopefully he won't visit again.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
We have laws here for farmers that allow us to legally eliminate stray animals that are harming our livestock and farm structures. I give the stray animals owner a courtesy visit on the first offense that allows them a chance to rectify their animals trespassing issues. The second time, collar or no collar, I eliminate the threat. Then I notify the Sheriff so they have a record of my actions and they come visit the people who are allowing their animals to trespass. Giving the owner more than one chance is just allowing them to keep screwing up. It's not the animals fault, it's the owner.

Living in the city does not allow for that kind of action, unless a dog is being vicious and ready to attack people. You can then eliminate the threat if on your property and quickly call the police. Then let the chips fall where they may, depending on what city you reside in.