Looking for firmware upgrade info

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought my Hikvision NVR in USA from a reputable dealer.
The model is XC-7716NISP
Firmware is v3.3.6 bld 151230
Encoding is v1.0 bld 151229
Web is v4.0.1 bld 150722
Plugin v3.0.5.52

Based on the post immediately before mine with lots of useful info and a link to reading serial numbers, my NVR (manuf May 2015) has these codes in it: BBRR and WCVU

Because the model number prefix is XC and not DS I've been wondering exactly what I have (my camera's are similarly labeled with XC instead of DS. I queried the vendor but they did not directly answer me regarding the prefix. I also asked about the correct file to download to update the firmware.

I have download from Hikvision USA file
DS-90xx&96xx-ST&77xx-SP_USA_Firmware_V3.4.3_160822.zip

The vendor said that was correct file but to 'be careful' essential warning me not to try it. I am concerned about all the various comments I've read about bricking and ML vs English. The RR in serial worries me.

Recent revelations about hacks has prompted me to think about updating. If I need to restart my NVR, usually 3 of my 9 cameras will not start recording, showing only live view. I then need to individually reboot each camera and wait to ensure all is working right. Some of my camera's 'blink' when motion is detected and I lose a second or two of useful info during this period. So I also am considering updating the camera's. I have 2 cameras with newer firmware versions and they don't 'blink'. I've downloaded a file for the cameras also and the vendor has similar comments about that.

All in all, I'd like to know if attempting the update is reasonable to consider. I also see from the prior message thread that there may be a newer firmware version than the one listed above, although my inclination is to attempt the above before going further.

Does the info above, especially the RR in the serial number give any reasons that I should be concerned about attempting an update? Also, I am not running windows machines, although I can do that in a virtual machine if absolutely necessary. I am running Linux. It should be very easy and straightforward but there are so many horror tales here that I am hesitant to go ahead.