Looking for Indoor and Outdoor camera suggestions

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,
We are in the position of needing to obtain some IP cameras. We are currently using some antique analog cameras with a video server and some old trendnet cameras to feed BlueIris. So here's what I'm looking for and hoping someone can give some suggestions:

Indoor variety:
* 720p min resolution, variable configurable framerate
* quality image output
* Wired, PoE would be convenient, but willing to go PoE or not
* Relatively inexpensive (preferably <200 / camera - ideally, in the 100-150 range)
* IR illuminated for after hours when the lights are out or superb low light functionality
* PTZ a major plus, we can use fixed cameras but PTZ would give us more flexibility.
* must be compatible with BluIris and compatible with Milestone XProtect (if at all possible. We use BI right now, but if we ever get specific funding, we may move to XProtect, but it's not a near term change)

Outdoor variety:
* 720p min resolution, variable configurable framerate
* quality image output
* Wired, PoE as before would be convenient
* Water proof would be nice - the antique cameras we have are "water resistant" and we are constantly having to clean them off internally as they aren't nearly as resistant as they claim
* IR illuminated with a decent night range, 20m minimum
* Still price sensitive, but looking in the $150 - $250 range
* PTZ not required, looking more for fixed cameras. PTZ suggestion won't be refused as we may decide at some point to put some form of a overview camera that pans
* Same software requirements

I should note due to purchasing restrictions, I can only get from TigerDirect / CDWG / Amazon.
I've been looking at a lot of cameras lately, and honestly, I'm getting a little crosseyed ;) There are so many options and I don't want to waste my employers money getting something crappy.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should note due to purchasing restrictions, I can only get from TigerDirect / CDWG / Amazon.
I've been looking at a lot of cameras lately, and honestly, I'm getting a little crosseyed ;) There are so many options and I don't want to waste my employers money getting something crappy.
Hi mate,

After going through a similar experience (for non-PTZs), I blogged my findings - check my signature.
My advice is stick with the tried and tested brands - Hikvision, Dahua etc. I went with Hikvisions and am well pleased.

Cheers.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, looks like a lot of good detailed information in there! I really appreciate it that you took the time to put out there your findings!!

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, looks like a lot of good detailed information in there! I really appreciate it that you took the time to put out there your findings!!
You are welcome. I am now researching NVRs and PTZ cameras.

Did you decide which ones to get?