Looking for integrated home security options.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for what might be compatible with blueiris for home security. Such as window and door open close sensors, weather / temperature, fire / smoke detection etc....

Basically I am looking for something that has a wall mount head unit that can also integrate with BI.

I have called dozens of home security companies and come to this conclusion.
They are all ripping everyone off with their outrageous install fees and monthly monitoring cost, just to install something that is all wireless and only requires a screwdriver to install.

Due to my location I only have internet and no landline so most companies will not even install without a land line or a cell add on to the system that will not even get LTE service anyway.

I am looking to install the system myself and hopefully have something that integrates with BlueIris.

BlueIris Specs
Intel Core i7 3770
Ivy Bridge
MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt (MS-7752) Motherboard
16GB ddr3 memory
10 PoE IP cams running at mostly 720.
CPU typically hovers around 20 - 24%
Storage is attached 40tb Synology ds918+ NAS.
The system is headless as I remote into it as needed.
I have a 24/7 Raspberry PI mounted to a security monitor running the web browser view 24/7.
Remote access to the blue iris is over Openvpn secure tunnel using the android apps.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to install the system myself and hopefully have something that integrates with BlueIris.
I haven't seen anything like that, but definitely curious as to if other folks here have.

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but I have seen where some home automation platforms can integrate with specific alarm systems and Blue Iris... that's cool for being able to trigger automations (like setting Blue Iris to a Profile that records from indoor cameras only when the alarm has been armed in "away" mode), but I've never seen it all brought together with a "single pane of glass" that lets you manage each system.

Reaction score
In our situation, as @aristbrat wrote, Blue Iris integrates with our home automation system which is SFF computer running HomeSeer 3 and connected to a Z-Net as our sensors, locks, light switches, motion detectors, etc. are Z-Wave (wireless).

HS3 is extremely powerful but does have a significant learning curve. There is a plug-in for HS3 that communicates with Blue Iris.

As an example, if motion is detected by Blue Iris at our front door, the Sonos plug-in speaks “Motion detected at front door” through our Sonos speakers. It also sends a pushover message to our phones - we don’t get many visitors.

93DDFEAE-74C8-4C89-A39C-6762FC1BB43E.png

Reaction score
Very cool JNDATHP - Where is a good place to purchase all this? Any recommendations or is there kits of some sort? Not sure what SFF is (I think small form factor).
I looked up homeseer and found some stuff, but curious what you would recommend I look at to start with? Seems homeseer has a web page as well I will browse when I get some time.

oldman

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Domoticz, which is a free open source solution that supports many hardware platforms and protocols, Z-wave being my primary. You can communicate with Blue Iris via JSON, HTTP, IFTTT, and others. My Z-wave controller is the Aeotec USB Zwave controller (about $40+). Domoticz supports event programing using Lua, Blockly, Python. you can also have it call scripts when a device is triggered, etc. It also can be configured to send notifications to your phone(s) when something happens that you want notified about.

Very robust and fully featured. It probably isn't as user friendly for non techies, but it isn't that hard either, and you can't beat the price.

You can read more about it at Domoticz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very cool JNDATHP - Where is a good place to purchase all this? Any recommendations or is there kits of some sort? Not sure what SFF is (I think small form factor).
I looked up homeseer and found some stuff, but curious what you would recommend I look at to start with? Seems homeseer has a web page as well I will browse when I get some time.
I would suggest the forum which is quite active: forums.homeseer.com

Yes, small form factor.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a dedicated alarm panel, and the status is communicated using dry contacts which are read by a raspberry pi (could also be a 5$ ESP device).
HomeSeer reads the status and updates the BlueIris state.

I am moving away from HomeSeer and switching to HomeAssistant though. Already have the same functionality in place over there.