Looking for ip bullet camera with ap mode.

billvv

n3wb
Reaction score
That just about says it; I'm looking for a bullet camera to replace the one on my RV.

I have an old Android tablet (LG, android v5 ) that I'm presently using to display the rear view (cabinet work in way of rear view mirror) from a HUACAM ip cam hardwired to a small wireless router. I'd like to find an ip camera that has an access point mode so that I can pick up a wireless signal directly to the tablet.

Searching google and camera sites with 'ap mode' is generally unsuccessful, so I'm hoping someone can recommend a camera for this use.

Thanks!

Bill

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of luck in that regard, as it would also have to run in "ad hoc" mode vs. normal "infrastructure" mode.
I've done this before, just be aware of a slight delay in an IP cam which is why automotive & RV backup cams are analog.

If you want to proceed, I suggest:
  • Find a wireless bullet cam that has a RTSP stream. Consider Amcrest cams (re-branded Dahua) but NOT one of the "Smart Home" series cams.
  • On your PC, assign the PC a static LAN IP of 192.168.1.20, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Log into your wireless router's webGUI, turn off DHCP and give it a static LAN IP, say 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Now your wireless router is a simple Access Point (AP).
  • Take the wireless IP cam, power it up, plug cable from PC into it's Ethernet port and with your PC log into its webGU, give its wireless port a static IP in the same subnet as the AP's LAN IP such as 192.168.1.2, and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and have it log into the wireless SSID of your AP.
  • Assign your tablet a static IP also in the same subnet as the 2 above, such as 192.168.1.3, and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Look for and log the tablet into the AP's wireless SSID. You should be able to run VLC for Android on the tablet, put in the RTSP URL of the cam and stream it to VLC on the tablet.

Last edited:

billvv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm... I wanted to avoid the router completly. I probably misunderstood what I've read - and some videos - but I'm under the impression that the camera could be set to act as an access point that the android tablet would access it via as if the camera was a wi-fi source.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm... I wanted to avoid the router completly.
but I'm under the impression that the camera could be set to act as an access point that the android tablet would access it via as if the camera was a wi-fi source.
I understand but I doubt seriously you'll find a decent brand camera (Dahua, Hikvision, etc. or OEM'ed by either) that will provide that. If you do find any cam that will provide an AP mode (ad hoc), it will likely want you use their app, scan a QR code and an encrypted stream will go to and from their offshore server via P2P, and won't work without actual Internet access.

If it's the size of your router that puts you off then consider a tiny wireless travel router, set up as I described. TP-LINK TL-WR802N is one of several. The one I used to make an iPhone act as a hitch cam on my older F250 operated on 5VDC so it plugged into a USB charger in the cigar lighter socket. I viewed the iPhone with my iPad by opening Safari, it was a MJPEG stream.

TP-LINK_TL-WR802N.jpg

If you still want to go with no router, try a search using the term "WiFi Direct IP camera" or "IP camera Wi-Fi direct", etc. That's the latest term for what's been termed for years "ad hoc" mode. Many inkjet printers have that mode as an option. You might find something on Aliexpress.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score