Looking for IP cameras without fish eye

tmar89

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using a few different IP cameras and they all have fish eye effects from the wide angle. I need an IP cam that doesn't have fish eye so we can use it to track measured motion. Can anyone recommend cameras that do not have wide angle fish eye lenses?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are the models you have tried?

In general, the smaller the focal length, the more of the "distortion" or fish-eye effect you will see.

But the higher the focal length, the smaller the field of view.

So then it comes down to is the distance you are trying to measure motion within the field of view of a higher focal length camera?

Depending on your application, you may need to move to a camera that specializes in that kind of imagery.

tmar89

n3wb
Reaction score
What are the models you have tried?

In general, the smaller the focal length, the more of the "distortion" or fish-eye effect you will see.

But the higher the focal length, the smaller the field of view.

So then it comes down to is the distance you are trying to measure motion within the field of view of a higher focal length camera?

Depending on your application, you may need to move to a camera that specializes in that kind of imagery.
Thanks,

I'm using Amcrest bullet cameras that have a wide field of view. Super-Wide 105° viewing angle. I move them fairly far back to see if I get a more normal looking picture but it affects my resolution.

I have some fairly older Sony EP550 cameras that don't have any fish eye effect but unfortunately the resolution is not enough for the application. SNC-EP550 720p/30fps PTZ Camera - Sony Pro
Horizontal Viewing Angle
55.9° to 2.1°
Vertical Viewing Angle
31.4° to 1.2°
Focal Length
f = 3.5 mm to 98 mm
F-Number
F1.35 (Wide) to F3.7 (Tele)
Minimum Object Distance
10 mm (Wide) to 1500 mm (Tele)

tmar89

n3wb
Reaction score
How can you tell from the specifications if a camera will have or not have barrel distortion?