Looking for microphone recommendations

naturecam

n3wb
Reaction score
I am installing a network of cameras for viewing wildlife and am looking for weather resistant microphone recommendations for two scenarios:

1) confined spaces like birdhouses, owl houses, animal dens
2) open areas that are being monitored with PTZ cameras on poles. These would be to pick up ambient noise as animals walk thru.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, good for both tight spots and open air. You might need a wind cover like this depending on where it’s mounted:

I’m powering mine (and the camera it’s mounted next to) with this POE splitter from a POE switch. No hum or ground loop issues.

If you search for the mic brand on here, there are plenty of other posts with reviews and examples of it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Raivo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, good for both tight spots and open air. You might need a wind cover like this depending on where it’s mounted:

I’m powering mine (and the camera it’s mounted next to) with this POE splitter from a POE switch. No hum or ground loop issues.

If you search for the mic brand on here, there are plenty of other posts with reviews and examples of it.
Does not the PoE splitter cause video data transmission issues for the camera? A fried of mine breeds falcons so as a test we installed a cam with an external microphone through I/O green audio terminal and powered the camera via a PoE switch and via splitter - mic. We had all sorts of issues - from sudden video signal losses to inability to cotnrol the camera (it was a PTZ). So we changed that to in-line mic - worked ok and for all other nests just got a Hik dome camera with a built-in mic (sound quality is not the best and it serves its purpose).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does not the PoE splitter cause video data transmission issues for the camera? A fried of mine breeds falcons so as a test we installed a cam with an external microphone through I/O green audio terminal and powered the camera via a PoE switch and via splitter - mic. We had all sorts of issues - from sudden video signal losses to inability to cotnrol the camera (it was a PTZ). So we changed that to in-line mic - worked ok and for all other nests just got a Hik dome camera with a built-in mic (sound quality is not the best and it serves its purpose).
Bullet Mic Review | IP Cam Talk

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nope, no issues for me. I’ve read about some problems with PoE splitters, but I’ve been very happy with it. It was [mention]looney2ns [/mention]review ^^ that convinced me to try the mic in the first place!