Looking for Mini-UPS for 5v cameras

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone come across a mini UPS 5V DC (2A)?

I have wireless Foscam cameras and would like a power backup.
I found a couple of products online. But most are China direct bulk only...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be a workable solution. Only drawbacks: a bit bulky for the installation location and the AC-DC-AC conversion.
I would trust that any day over any junk sold on ali..the ali units are also way over priced.
The conversion is not an issue.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would trust that any day over any junk sold on ali..the ali units are also way over priced.
The conversion is not an issue.
Agree with you on that. I have many APC's in use otherwise; e.g. server.
The ali product have the right idea. Maybe somebody from APC is listening an create similar product. Replacing the lead-acid battery design with a Lithium DC design seems to make much more sence for many of the new devices.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked around for something like that when I was considering using a raspberry pi for an alarm clock. The best I could come up with is those battery packs intended to recharge your phone when you don't have access to a wall outlet. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC The important thing is they take USB for power in and out, which is 5 volts.

Unfortunately these are not designed to act as a UPS. I get the feeling they would work, but there might be problems particularly around having to use a power button to turn them on. It might not want to stay on 24/7.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone come across a mini UPS 5V DC (2A)?

I have wireless Foscam cameras and would like a power backup.
I found a couple of products online. But most are China direct bulk only...
Instead of trying to find a UPS that powers the Camera at 5V, why don't you use a standard UPS to power the transformer packs that you are using to power the camera?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Why not make a USB cable adapter that terminates with the barrel plug you need to plug into your camera, and then put a standard USB powerpack in line. You can get 4000mah battery power packs for sub-$10. Plug a wallwart USB charger into the power pack (to keep it charged) and your new USB to camera cable between it and the camera. Now, if the AC fails, the camera will remain running on the powerpack for many hours.

I once hooked up a Foscam clone to a 10,000mah USB power/charging pack to mount it in a remote spot for a day. After 12 hours, the camera was still going strong, and the battery showed more than half capacity remaining. Just an idea.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^The charging section of the external battery might die after a little while. They're not the best quality and not made to be hooked up days at a time. Just keep that in mind.

Again you could be lucky or unlucky.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
^The charging section of the external battery might die after a little while. They're not the best quality and not made to be hooked up days at a time. Just keep that in mind.

Again you could be lucky or unlucky.
That's a good point - but I think charging a full and unused power pack is quite different than charging one that has a constant load on it. Still, a valid concern, and something to consider (and maybe even question the seller)...