looking for new home and business system

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
We are looking to install outdoor cameras around the house . The dimensions are roughly 40 x 70. I have 3 doors i would like to monitor. About 16 windows to put sensors on. we want our system to be monitored. We would also like 2 cameras on the garage. the distance is roughly 75 feet from the house where i want to centralize everything. I also want to install 2 cameras roughly 135 feet from the same centralized location. I also have a shop that i would like to monitor that is roughly 350 feet from centralized location. i am wanting 2 cameras in the shop 1 indoor 1 outdoor. The most important objective for us is reliability and picture quality. I would prefer to hardwire everything. I feel less chance of losing connection and no batteries to change. We are also needing 2 of us to be able to monitor an alert app for the cameras. I don't want it to be a big hassle to view past recordings. We want the app to alert us to motion. I saw a app where they could just drag across the app and rewind the video. Dont need audio. Would like to be able to lock house from app. we are over 100 mbps on our internet speed Cable internet. Also a keypad to arm the system. we would like to control the data onsite also. thank you Jason and Sara

Reaction score
willing to go the DIY route of running cable, installing cameras, installing alarm sensors, integrating everything together? That's a big list of 'wants'.

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
We are looking to install outdoor cameras around the house . The dimensions are roughly 40 x 70. I have 3 doors i would like to monitor. About 16 windows to put sensors on. we want our system to be monitored. We would also like 2 cameras on the garage. the distance is roughly 75 feet from the house where i want to centralize everything. I also want to install 2 cameras roughly 135 feet from the same centralized location. I also have a shop that i would like to monitor that is roughly 350 feet from centralized location. i am wanting 2 cameras in the shop 1 indoor 1 outdoor. The most important objective for us is reliability and picture quality. I would prefer to hardwire everything. I feel less chance of losing connection and no batteries to change. We are also needing 2 of us to be able to monitor an alert app for the cameras. I don't want it to be a big hassle to view past recordings. We want the app to alert us to motion. I saw a app where they could just drag across the app and rewind the video. Dont need audio. Would like to be able to lock house from app. we are over 100 mbps on our internet speed Cable internet. Also a keypad to arm the system. we would like to control the data onsite also. thank you Jason and Sara
Would definitely like to trench and install everything myself

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
Need advise on what cameras and systems are recommended and personal experience with them

Reaction score
you got some researching to do. is $$$ no object?

75' from house to garage and to have camera watching over it would require a PTZ with zoom or a Varifocal fixed camera that would catch events at that range.

I like the DSC Powerseries alarm system as it is really DIY friendly and not spendy. Lots of headaches with a learning curve but hay...that's the joy of DIY. If you get a the ip network card for it (envysion?) you can interface something like Home Assistant (home automation) which really opens some doors.
System to be monitored? I know nothing about that cause I monitor it myself with alerts sent from the DSC -> Home Assistant -> Blue Iris -> Gmail route though I really should looking into TELEGRAM for that. I do have it so when the outdoor PIR's detect motion or a outdoor camera, the DSC home alarm talks to Home Assistant which turns on my smart tv which then displays all outdoor cameras on a grid with the addition of a buzzer alarm sound. But this is an advanced setup. I was forced/rushed into this as I had my own immediate security issues at hand.

Anyways...for starters, looking into setting up a computer for the use of Blue Iris windows program. You'll find many programs out there but with lesser bells & whistles.
After that, you need to learn how to wire cameras for indoor & outdoor.
Then, what camera for what application. Some cameras are meant for general viewing (hay look...i think that is bigfoot). Some cameras are meant for facial ID (hay that's not big foot, that is my neighbor Steve). Some cameras are meant for license plate viewing only (hay look, bigfoot Steve has a Nevada license plate), some cameras are for hardcore security applications such as PTZ.

for 75% of applications, the Dahua 5442 series will cover all bases.
You have much research to do and this site is a good place to start. IP Cam Talk Wiki start here. You will not get spoon fed everything you want as we are just people with real lives, not professionals. Read up on camera reviews in the forum postings.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can do everything you want. That being said, you have to set a realistic expectation. You can DIY it and expect a large learning curve and a decent amount of trial and error, or you can pay a "professional" alarm company to install it, be charged too much, and have shitty hardware (especially cameras) to show for it in the end.

Personally I would go the DIY route (and have). If you can live with several different apps to control everything, then this really isn't that hard. You will basically have a CCTV system and a separate alarm system. The locks might be a third system, or it's possible that perhaps the alarm system would be able to control it. If you want to tie all of those systems into a single app to control it, then you are going to need an real automation system and the learning curve gets extremely steep. You'll still end up with the same two or three independent systems, but the automation system sits on top and ties everything together. You don't have to add the automation system right away, but you'll want to do enough research to know what system you might want to use so that the CCTV, alarm, and door locks that you buy will all be supported by that automation system. You don't want to buy and install an alarm system only to find out that your automation system doesn't supports it, or even worse that it doesn't work with any automation system.

Hopefully that makes sense.

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
you got some researching to do. is $$$ no object?

75' from house to garage and to have camera watching over it would require a PTZ with zoom or a Varifocal fixed camera that would catch events at that range.

I like the DSC Powerseries alarm system as it is really DIY friendly and not spendy. Lots of headaches with a learning curve but hay...that's the joy of DIY. If you get a the ip network card for it (envysion?) you can interface something like Home Assistant (home automation) which really opens some doors.
System to be monitored? I know nothing about that cause I monitor it myself with alerts sent from the DSC -> Home Assistant -> Blue Iris -> Gmail route though I really should looking into TELEGRAM for that. I do have it so when the outdoor PIR's detect motion or a outdoor camera, the DSC home alarm talks to Home Assistant which turns on my smart tv which then displays all outdoor cameras on a grid with the addition of a buzzer alarm sound. But this is an advanced setup. I was forced/rushed into this as I had my own immediate security issues at hand.

Anyways...for starters, looking into setting up a computer for the use of Blue Iris windows program. You'll find many programs out there but with lesser bells & whistles.
After that, you need to learn how to wire cameras for indoor & outdoor.
Then, what camera for what application. Some cameras are meant for general viewing (hay look...i think that is bigfoot). Some cameras are meant for facial ID (hay that's not big foot, that is my neighbor Steve). Some cameras are meant for license plate viewing only (hay look, bigfoot Steve has a Nevada license plate), some cameras are for hardcore security applications such as PTZ.

for 75% of applications, the Dahua 5442 series will cover all bases.
You have much research to do and this site is a good place to start. IP Cam Talk Wiki start here. You will not get spoon fed everything you want as we are just people with real lives, not professionals. Read up on camera reviews in the forum postings.
Thank you for the response..the 75 foot range is not how far I want it to see.. I just have to run cables that far. I definitely like doing my own research... I just need a starting point... don't want to learn the hardway...I didn't expect to be spoonfed... as like you I have a pressing need for this and I can't sit around for months and look at stuff..I don't want to buy a bunch of cameras I will hate... it's an immediate security issue I have for my family.. the goals of the cameras are to have a good pic of a car or face. If its my neighbor Bob.. I want to know it's him.. not just know it's a possible man in the pic. again thank you for your response and any future advice.. as for money?? Well how much is to much to protect my family

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're considering running cable 75 feet underground, consider using fiber rather than copper. You can aggregate the devices at one end into a single feed and use a single pair fiber for the link. I'd install more than one fiber cable though, for redundancy and for additional feeds should they be needed in the future. Using fiber will provide electrical isolation and surge protection pretty painlessly.

If you don't want to use fiber you could use a dedicated RF link instead. That would give the same electrical isolation but not the same bandwidth capacity. This is a dedicated, point to point, encrypted, RF link not WiFi. That would save trenching, conduit and fiber or cable.

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
You can do everything you want. That being said, you have to set a realistic expectation. You can DIY it and expect a large learning curve and a decent amount of trial and error, or you can pay a "professional" alarm company to install it, be charged too much, and have shitty hardware (especially cameras) to show for it in the end.

Personally I would go the DIY route (and have). If you can live with several different apps to control everything, then this really isn't that hard. You will basically have a CCTV system and a separate alarm system. The locks might be a third system, or it's possible that perhaps the alarm system would be able to control it. If you want to tie all of those systems into a single app to control it, then you are going to need an real automation system and the learning curve gets extremely steep. You'll still end up with the same two or three independent systems, but the automation system sits on top and ties everything together. You don't have to add the automation system right away, but you'll want to do enough research to know what system you might want to use so that the CCTV, alarm, and door locks that you buy will all be supported by that automation system. You don't want to buy and install an alarm system only to find out that your automation system doesn't supports it, or even worse that it doesn't work with any automation system.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I agree with being scared to have a pro install it and hate it...I am not against doing it myself and learning.. several apps controlling everything is fine with me..I definitely understand what you are saying... thanks for the advice...

Reaction score
If you're considering running cable 75 feet underground, consider using fiber rather than copper. You can aggregate the devices at one end into a single feed and use a single pair fiber for the link. I'd install more than one fiber cable though, for redundancy and for additional feeds should they be needed in the future. Using fiber will provide electrical isolation and surge protection pretty painlessly.

If you don't want to use fiber you could use a dedicated RF link instead. That would give the same electrical isolation but not the same bandwidth capacity. This is a dedicated, point to point, encrypted, RF link not WiFi. That would save trenching, conduit and fiber or cable.
if it is immediate, i will help where I can. I started from scratch into where I am now...this behemoth :)
toss up some pictures and drawings of what you are after. let's start with that.

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
if it is immediate, i will help where I can. I started from scratch into where I am now...this behemoth :)
toss up some pictures and drawings of what you are after. let's start with that.
Do you wamt pics of the structures or just a drawing

Reaction score
If you want to tie all of those systems into a single app to control it, then you are going to need an real automation system and the learning curve gets extremely steep.
For example, I had a ongoing multiple even tire slashing person. This is what forced me into moving cameras from general overview purposes to dedicated facial ID. And into Home Assistant automation (which I NEVER dabbled with up to this point other than installing Ubuntu and Home Assistant OS successfully) and into DSC alarm system. For a good two months, NOTHING but research via this website, YouTube, Home Assistant reddit, etc. That kind of STEEP learning curve.

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
more pictures the better, more drawing the better. if you want in depth advise, more the better: wide angle view of front of house, 1 of each side, and from backside. And then can discuss what your general area is and what is critical.

Attachments

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
And if the security matter is not a private thing please share with the rest of us. It also helps to know what kind of security situation you're after
As much as I would like to say... I really cant..I will say it's very dangerous

wiscojason

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of the pics were taken from the power pole on the drawing... I'm not a artist by any means but I think this will help