Looking for ONVIF encoder recommendations...

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for an ONVIF encoder to allow adding a live-feed of an iOS POS solution to our Hikvision NVR. I figure I can utilize the built-in mirroring over either a lightning-to-VGA or lightning-to-HDMI adapter to an ONVIF encoder. I've shopped around a bit and found some encoders really aimed at IPTV as well as some cheaper Chinese models. Has anyone out there used an ONVIF encoder and could offer any recommendations?

thanks!
Eric

sealfab

n3wb
Reaction score
ONVIF is a broken standard, so just because your nvr supports it and the encoder supports its still not guaranteed. Hikvision will blame the encoder manufacturer and the encoder manufacturer will blame hikvision. I would find and an analog encoder that is officially supported by Hikvision. Also keep in mind the Ipad pos can be a bit finicky and lighting screen sharing can slow down the ipad. Are you trying to record the screen to audit what employees are or are not ringing up?

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm definitely looking for a solution to use for auditing employees ringing. While I can pull up tickets on the backend it's always a lot more convincing to everyone involved if I can pull the video of what a bartender pours simultaneously to what they then ring.

sealfab

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm definitely looking for a solution to use for auditing employees ringing. While I can pull up tickets on the backend it's always a lot more convincing to everyone involved if I can pull the video of what a bartender pours simultaneously to what they then ring.
There is no way you can mount a camera overhead that would capture the ipad, cash drawer, and possibly drink rail?

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or maybe your POS software has the option for outputting POS DVR overlay data. And the NVR might support POS data.

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a camera on all of those right now, but the lighting usually makes impossible to see the screen (gets washed out). Also, unfortunately the POS doesn't have an NVR overlay mode. I'm going to pick up an analog invitation encoder from grandstream and I'll report back my experience. Thanks for the help and time guys.