Looking for opinions on Laview kit

Reaction score
I have found this kit at a local pawn shop and its all new in box. They are asking 850 bucks for it. I am leaning towards buying it but im not real sure about the NVR performance. I called and asked laview about the bitrate because I couldn't find any specs anywhere on their web page about it. They said the bitrate was 4000 or 4100 I cant remember exactly. Thoughts?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found this kit at a local pawn shop and its all new in box. They are asking 850 bucks for it. I am leaning towards buying it but im not real sure about the NVR performance. I called and asked laview about the bitrate because I couldn't find any specs anywhere on their web page about it. They said the bitrate was 4000 or 4100 I cant remember exactly. Thoughts?
Hi @chopperface

1) I would not trust the Pawn Shop to really know how to price a NVR / DVR kit.
2) We would need more info on the kit to know if it is a decent deal or not that you are getting.

If the kit does not work, what sort of warranty will you get from the Pawn shop?

Reaction score
I can purchase a 2 year warranty through the pawnshop for 90 bucks. If everything is new in box I cant see why it wouldn't work. I was trying to piece together a dahua system with 4 varifocal cameras and a NVR from andy. I was at roughly 1200 bucks. in my mind this this seems like a calculated risk worth the gamble at this price point IF the NVR is sufficient for 12 cameras running at 4mp. I just remember reading a few places that sometimes the NVR is not adequate for the actual cameras that come with it when they are all running at max quality.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can purchase a 2 year warranty through the pawnshop for 90 bucks. If everything is new in box I cant see why it wouldn't work. I was trying to piece together a dahua system with 4 varifocal cameras and a NVR from andy. I was at roughly 1200 bucks. in my mind this this seems like a calculated risk worth the gamble at this price point IF the NVR is sufficient for 12 cameras running at 4mp. I just remember reading a few places that sometimes the NVR is not adequate for the actual cameras that come with it when they are all running at max quality.
Hi @chopperface

A lot depends on what your functional requirements are.

From my view, those cameras are using older sensors and imho are certainly not worth that insane price currently listed on the LaView webpage ( $2100 ).

LV-PB3040W camera has a
1/3”sensor
4MP
and
H.264/ MJPEG

from the specs it is clearly an older model of camera, and you should expect it to not do as well as newer models with better sensors.

ref:

oddly when searching the model number for the kit I get the following home depot page

which clearly has different cameras...

Reaction score
I found that to be odd as well Mat. However I did verify that the cameras in the kit for sale are the 4mp versions. My functional requirements are mostly around my my house mounting the cameras under the overhang. I really just need to see whats going on about 20 foot away from camera. The normal stuff, entry's , vehicles, back patio etc. For some reason I thought I read somewhere here where the 1/3" sensors where better, unfortunately no mater how many times I try to read and understand I cannot wrap my head around the whole sensor thing.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
I have both the bullet and dome cameras that are listed in your package. The cameras are definitely older and use h264+ rather than the newer h265 which is more efficient. The 1/3" sensors are also not as good as the newer sensors so if you need some for low light coverage these would not be ideal. Lastly, Laview doesn't seem to have firmware updates regularly so if you are looking to have regular updates for the camera or nvr I would look elsewhere.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I ended up purchasing this kit at a price point that I could not pass up on. Once I get everything set up and working (if it works) I will try to get some pictures posted. The deciding factor was pretty much that I already have a monitored home alarm and every camera out there will be old and dated lacking technology at some point. Not to mention 12 (crappy) cameras and an NVR for the cost of 3 starlight cameras alone just seems like the way to go. Worst case scenario is going back to having nothing like the last 5 years. At best it could be a something worth learning with and cutting teeth on. Not to mention I still plan on setting booby traps!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Three Starlight cameras, 4MP turrets, would cost under $500USD and provide excellent video, both day and night, plus they have full featured AI for face and vehicle recognition built in. I hope you're not disappointed with your purchase.

Reaction score
Thats the price I was able to purchase the above kit for. Yes I could purchase the starlights but still would need a NVR or computer with B.I and then would still only have 3 cameras. all I need to be able to do is ID someone 15-20 foot from the camera. My property is well lit at night but to be honest just having 12 cameras out where they can be seen will probably be deterrent enough. Plus my internet is slow as molasses so this kit will be standalone. Will see/ like I said above for the price I could not pass it up. [shrug]