Looking for Outdoor Motion Sensor

ZyBeR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for one or several outdoor motion sensors that connect somehow to BlueIris, either through alarm-in on a camera or through Home-Assistant that forwards the alarm to BI.

Motion detection in BI/cameras won't work at all for me, I have to many shadows/lights from passing cars or sun/clouds so that's why I'm looking for a more reliable setup.

After lots of reading here I realised that I need a dual (mv + pir) sensor, I don't have any pets and don't mind triggering on the occasional deer. I would prefer mounting the sensor high up along side the cameras (~2.5m).

The sheer amount of different versions is overwhelming hence my thread. Can anyone help me choose a sensor that would suit my application?

See the picture here, I would like the sensor to cover the blue area if possible, it's probably a little to big (~17m to the far end corner) but here's were your experience come in :)

House.png

All cameras are from Dahua but only #1 have alarm-in but all are PoE. So I was hoping to use the same power as the cameras.

Another option I've been thinking about is hooking up a z-wave sensor to the alarm-out and getting the alarms through Home-Assistant and from there trigger BI, would that be a good option?

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: jrf

tasrock

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. The shadow from our flag waving in the wind triggers our front door alert most of the day. I would like to find a POE outdoor motion sensor that can send a signal over ethernet for BI, but have yet to find one...

ZyBeR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Paradox NVX80 and either just hook it to a camera which then triggers BI or add a universal zwave sensor and let Home Assistant trigger BI.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That's probably too big for one sensor. The longer range ones tend to be narrower. What you COULD do is have two shorter range wide angle PIRs and run both sets of wires into the single camera for more complete PIR coverage. I haven't done that but can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. BI wouldn't be able to distinguish between PIRs but would detect if either of them went off via the one camera. A single Optex LX-402 would get a bunch of that area with one PIR but for the whole thing two would be better. I'd mount one by camera 1 and the second one by the F in "Front door" or thereabouts angled towards the front of the garage. Really though, I'd think that a single LX-402 mounted by the F or a hair closer to the O in House aimed to skim the front door and angled towards the front of the garage would catch the vast majority of the action. Trigger it or them however you'd like, but if running wiring from the house back to cam 1 is a pain then wire it into and use your home automation.

ZyBeR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Two sensor into one input is really smart actually :)
As you point out, running wire from the house to Cam1 is a pain, that's why I would like to have the sensor(s) on the garage.

The Paradox NVX80 has a field of vision of 90º and 16 meter range. That sounds like it could cover most of my area?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes but if mounted on the garage then it looks like it won't have good coverage. Mounted on the house where I said should cover everything coming in your front door, driveway and garage. Try using IPVM calculator with a 90 deg FOV cam and see what coverage you get in various mounting places.