Looking for POE pan/tilt under $100

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you order the new (latest) V3 version of the NON-POE IP2M-841, you could use this POE to 5VDC passive injector for under $10 on amazon ==>>
DSLRKIT Active PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A Micro USB Plug for Raspberry Pi B/B+/2/3
The V3 uses a micro-USB for the 5VDC power.

I got a black one from amazon 2 weeks ago and it was the V3 version with the micro USB for power.

Earlier versions of the IP2M-841 (V1, V2) use the 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside barrel connector and there's one for it also ==>> DSLRKIT Active PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A Compliant IEEE802.3af

FWIW, you could get TWO IP2M-841's and TWO of the passive POE to 5VDC injectors for $100! :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you order the new (latest) V3 version of the NON-POE IP2M-841, you could use this POE to 5VDC passive injector for under $10 on amazon ==>>
Thank you for the suggestion. These will be going in a public (church) space and there's no practical way to make a POE splitter look nice. (Especially a black splitter against a white drop ceiling!) They're also a point of failure, and obvious enough to someone from a distance it'll give folks ideas... ;)

I've wished for a long time now that Amcrest would just incorporate POE into their PT WiFi models. Even as a home user, the camera location I want is all to often not near an outlet. Once you're running a wire, might as well make it a network cable and use POE.

Glad to hear that the newest models are finally using a standard USB jack, though WTF did they have to go with micro? Come on, it's 2021, MICRO?

For $1 more you can get some more flexibility / future proofing -
Since it's USB female you can plug in a longer cord, a USB splitter, a (low power) C, micro, mini or even A device, an older Amcrest camera using the supplied cable, etc.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Zanthexter

Do you really need a PT PoE camera?
Yes.

Optical zoom would be a useful bonus. The number of times I've tried and failed to read a Comcast error code on a TV from a camera across the room...

Hi @ZanthexterIf so, time to look for another model imho if that Amcrest one is no longer available.
That's not my call, but my suggestion to the person making that decision will be to wait until they're back in stock if I can't find a good alternative. They're getting the labor free, but the whatever cameras they buy they're stuck with for the next 10 years or so. Best to take as much time as needed hoping to have no regrets.

I think the ones you linked to would make a good upgrade. In particular for the Starlight mode. But they're on a tight budget.

While not at all waterproof, the IP2M-841E have held up well in kitchens.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you are using drop tile ceiling, why can't you put the POE splitter above the drop ceiling?
You can't see the indicator lights, so troubleshooting a problem requires someone with a ladder instead of someone with a cell phone camera on the floor.

More effort to troubleshoot = higher maintenance costs.

While the church has free labor TODAY, that guy might not be there in 2 years.

And as a general thing, volunteer labor deserves respect, and that means not "spending" it needlessly just "because it's free".

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can't see the indicator lights, so troubleshooting a problem requires someone with a ladder instead of someone with a cell phone camera on the floor.

More effort to troubleshoot = higher maintenance costs.

While the church has free labor TODAY, that guy might not be there in 2 years.

And as a general thing, volunteer labor deserves respect, and that means not "spending" it needlessly just "because it's free".
OK fair enough those are very valid concerns, thanks for the clarification

1 last suggestions. considered passive POE injector/splitter? granted I only see version with 5.5x2.1mm DC plug but you can easily find some DC to Micro USB adapter cable to inject 5v USB poewr.

All these can be hidden in the ceiling other than the Micro USB male and RJ45 male plugging into the camera.

There's no active electronic to fail compare to the earlier POE splitter. this purely pass the 5v electricity into the unused pair on the RJ45 and split themm back out. plug them into a regular USB multi port charger on the network switch end. Not sure that will help address your maintenance concern

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several of those EmpireTech (Dahua) SD1A2032-GN PTZ cams. Use them in retail on drop ceilings. Works great if they can add a bit more to the budget. Need to get those churchgoers tithing more to up the budget!

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1 last suggestions. considered passive POE injector/splitter?
I hadn't, but sort of the same thing. With active POE and a managed switch you can power cycle the camera (phone, AP, tablet, whatever) remotely. Which is usually the first step tech support is gonna ask you, "Did you turn it off and back on?"

Without a managed switch controlling POE you have to ask someone to go into the back, find the correct power cord, and unplug it for 5 seconds. You'd think something so simple would be easy and risk free.... But no, they're going to unplug the server and erase the 10 Commandments forever instead. ;)

When doing a tech project that involves regular folks, plan for explaining the difference between "flat" and "pointy" screwdrivers and hope you never have to.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have several of those EmpireTech (Dahua) SD1A2032-GN PTZ cams. Use them in retail on drop ceilings. Works great if they can add a bit more to the budget. Need to get those churchgoers tithing more to up the budget!
I'll pass that along, thank you.

If they buy some, I'll see about doing a comparison between them and the cheap Amcrest. I'm sure the Dahua's are better, but how much would be worth knowing. Sometimes you just need "good enough", sometimes you need more.

Any idea if this Amcrest is the same model, rebranded? -

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any idea if this Amcrest is the same model, rebranded? -
Managed switch seem overly complicated unless it's like a mega church....

On the amcrest rebranded, for sure it is a dahua rebranded, you can use the magic box command to check the dahua hardware model

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Managed switch seem overly complicated unless it's like a mega church....
Nah, they've got pictures. You just go to the web page and click. More accurately called "smart" switches. We're not talking VLANs and all that. I'm sure someone's neighbors kid is great with computers and could deal with it for them if ever needed...

If not, they'll someday be paying for someone's time. A quick fix over the internet is less expensive than someone coming by.