Looking for powerful BI server hardware

Lb85

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of us record 24/7 as I outlined in Post #9 - we record substream that then switches to mainstream when triggered. Saves a ton of storage space that way.

What are that settings called to accomplish this?

Reaction score
I’m curious to know if you’re record all stream from them or triggered events only?

Wonder also about space it will need if 24/7 recording…
I have not bothered to do the record substreams but full once triggered. I get about 20 days of recording for each cam.

This is the full list of the system I have:

CPU: Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2 GHz
MB: ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM Micro ATX
Memory: 32 GB – 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3000
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti gaming 4GB memory
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G3 80+ Gold
Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro 240mm
NIC1: On mother board
NIC2: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCI Express Gigabit Adapter

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 240 White 12.6H x 10.2W x 15.6D

‘C’ Drive: Intel M.2 760p 2280 256GB PCI-E 3.0 x4 3D2 TLC
‘D’ Drive: WD Blue 500GB SSD NAND SATA III 6 Gb/s
‘E’ Drive: WD Purple WD101PURZ 10TB 7200RPM
‘F’ Drive: WD Purple WD101PURZ 10TB 7200RPM
‘G’ Drive: WD Purple WD101PURZ 10TB 7200RPM

It pulls 107 watts.

Originally I had set BI to offload older video to my NAS based on age. But I found that it was constantly moving files and the CPU would peg. It was not worth having the machine being tied up with moving files, so I just set it to delete as space is needed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you give any numbers on power consumption? I am strongly considering a near identical build (with far fewer cameras to start with, but as many have pointed out, that will surely grow over time :))
Sorry, I cannot give you anything precise. No kill-a-watt tool. I suppose the Cisco 3560x 24 port PoE 802.3AT eats into any savings i might have with the PC :) perhaps another forum member will chime in with some data.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under recording set it up to continuous plus triggered and it will record substream until triggered and then switch to mainstream.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, I cannot give you anything precise. No kill-a-watt tool. I suppose the Cisco 3560x 24 port PoE 802.3AT eats into any savings i might have with the PC :) perhaps another forum member will chime in with some data.
Thanks, and yes I hear you, that's why I am also carefully watching the idle power specs for any POE switch I am considering. As nice as the used enterprise switches are (and they are cheap on EBay), nearly all of the ones with fans (which essentially means anything with => 16 ports and more than one or two years old) I have had to rule out as they use too much just sitting there plugged in. There are a handful of 8P 10/100 (+ 2P at 1000 uplink) switches that are fanless, and have reasonable idle power use, I may go with one of those for now. I have spoken on this point before, and I don't want to harp on it too much, but keep in mind that my power for any (excess, above my current baseline) use like this costs at least $0.33/kWh. That adds up fast.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something to consider: IP Cams are always on/running. There is no idle time.
Yes, I know: I have no problem accepting the 24/7 POE camera(s) power draw as they are doing useful work. What I have a hard time accepting is the excessive wasted heat and power draw from a device (in this case, the POE switch), just because it is plugged in and ready to start powering the cameras. Think this is trivial? I did too, until I started seeing that some of the larger, enterprise level POE switches (which represent the bulk of the ones readily available on EBay) use upwards of 25W, 35W, even some over 50W just sitting there before any devices are plugged in (what both I and the manufacturers refer to as "idle" power draw). Ridiculous by today's standards.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I know: I have no problem accepting the 24/7 POE camera(s) power draw as they are doing useful work. What I have a hard time accepting is the excessive wasted heat and power draw from a device (in this case, the POE switch), just because it is plugged in and ready to start powering the cameras. Think this is trivial? I did too, until I started seeing that some of the larger, enterprise level POE switches (which represent the bulk of the ones readily available on EBay) use upwards of 25W, 35W, even some over 50W just sitting there before any devices are plugged in (what both I and the manufacturers refer to as "idle" power draw). Ridiculous by today's standards.
I wonder what how long it would take to recover the increased cost (via electricity savings) of a managed switch that allowed you to disable PoE on ports that did not require it. Seems like it might be more energy efficient to have a non-PoE switch, and use only the number of power injectors you need, based on your devices?

Hmm... the next green thing in networking: Tuned Power Injection!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
@iwanttosee , that's the easy part. :thumb:

It's the time and money to execute the remaining tasks and, of course, crunch the numbers.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could start out with a fanless 8 port. I think the default to follow the 802.3 Standard, is that power is NOT applied to a port unless a negotiation is made between device and Switch. Otherwise you'd be smoking non-Poe devices all day long.
My Cisco 3560x has a 715 Watt Power supply with a failover 1100 watt supply. when both plugged in, it seems all the fans runs more. if I just plug in the 1100 watt, all the fans stop except for the PSU itself, which merrily idles along quietly. The Nightowl dvr is louder than the switch. I can see by the LED's which active ports have a link light, and/or a Link+Poe light. The switch and the device have a little Pow Wow to decide whether or not and how much power to supply.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder what how long it would take to recover the increased cost (via electricity savings) of a managed switch that allowed you to disable PoE on ports that did not require it. Seems like it might be more energy efficient to have a non-PoE switch, and use only the number of power injectors you need, based on your devices?

Hmm... the next green thing in networking: Tuned Power Injection!
I think the general consensus is that POE injectors are really only the economical solution when just one to maybe three ports need power, compared to a POE switch. There are some who claim that the power they provide is also not as reliable/clean compared to real POE switches.
My point was more about how many of the used (older) large enterprise POE switches are simply power hogs, compared to present day switches. Truly recent, modern day ones (even at 24+ ports) seem to use very little power on their own (just sittlng there with nothing plugged in), unlike many of the used ones that show up on EBay.