Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations that have the following features

Outdoor camera
Wireless camera
NOT POE, I can only run electricity, not RJ45 cable to this camera
IP Camera: can call up google or Edge and without a plugin, view the video feed
Record to an SD card and a NAS

I've looked online, does't appear that Amcrest makes any new camera like this, all I've been able to find are POE cameras that don't come with a power supply or cord. Anyone able to help me find what I'm looking for? Amazon is my preferred seller.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No easy way to get the Ethernet RJ line to the camera....If i could do that, I would have gone the POE route...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But you need electric - are you looking for a hardwired electric camera or one that plugs into an electrical outlet? Did you look at the link I sent you - it plugs in to an electrical outlet and runs internet over electric. So you put this adapter right next to the camera and only need a foot of ethernet line then and will open up a lot more opportunities for cameras then. Won't find many here recommending a wifi camera until other avenues such as this an an ubiquity transmitter has been looked at.

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5 - Wireless Access Point - AirMax (LOCOM5US): Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I did see what you posted. However, again, just need electrical power, want to go over if at all possible.

With your setup, would need an electrical wire and an ethernet wire for each of these cameras. I would then need another one of these at my router to get internet.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ideally what would be great is if there was a POE injector version so I could get power and network from the same AC wall outlet...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They have that as well if you only want to plug in one thing instead of two at an outlet by the camera. I am using one now that is providing power to the camera and internet connection. Also, most POE cameras also have a power input as well so you do not need to power it by POE and the link above provides the internet connection with another device providing power to the camera. And yes you need another one at the router.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What unit do you have that provides POE and Internet over the AC power in the house? Haven't been able to find it...

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I guess I could stack the power line adapter under the POE injector and go that way. Still don't understand why there aren't more cameras with wifi outdoors

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you would be better off that way. At any distance the network speed will drop substantially and cameras are data hogs. Try a speed test inside by the router and at your proposed location and I bet it drops substantially. Everyone I know that tried a wifi outdoor camera regretted the purchase and were glad they could still powerline it and get it off wifi.

Last edited:

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya, the biggest problem I have is that it would require running a lot of cable through a house, punching holes in walls, ceilings, stucco, etc. Not the best at patching.....

Whats the most common setup for houses, have a POE switch at a central location and just run CAT6 cable all over the house?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let me throw another scenario out there

I have 4 POE IP cameras in the garage. I run RJ45 from each of these cameras to a POE+ switch. I connect the LAN port to a POE access point that is inside the house...would that work?

I really can't justify running RJ45 all around my house through or around the studs in the walls, etc

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera can be made a "wireless" camera. Just use a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5, dedicated and encrypted RF link. No wire needed and they will support multiple cameras, as in six r more, over distances in the range of several kilometers. WiFi, using a router, is limited to two, or maybe three, cameras maximum and even then will have regular dropouts due to the nature of WiFi. There are multiple threads here discussing the unreliability of WiFi for video surveillance. If you can't "justify" running cable for cameras you're stuck with powerline adapters, another problematic solution, or dedicated RF links. Since every camera that's decent needs power, a network cable shouldn't be that big a deal.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the great thing about POE cameras - as long as it can connect into your network, all is good. Some run all the cables to a central location, others run one wire to a switch on one side of the house and split from there. Depends on each location and which makes the most sense.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I put a POE switch at my router and ran Ethernet through the AC powerline adapters, it would NOT bring the POE out the other end correct? I'm thinking of putting four IP5M-T11793EW cameras out front of my garage, but my garage is dusty and I don't trust a POE switch in the garage to not fail in 120 degree AZ heat and dust. I guess I could do the following

Router to Powerline adapter, through wall, Powerline adpater to POE switch in a box to keep dust out, to camera which would require the least amount of wiring

Looking at this box, simply because I dont know much about POE yet but this seems to be able to power 4 IP5M-T11793EW devices all in one switch

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That should work. I temporarily did the same thing until I could get an ethernet wire to the garage. Plugged in powerline adapter in next switch and then to router and then plugged the other powerline adapter in the garage and then a POE switch and out to the cameras.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ideally what would be great is if there was a POE injector version so I could get power and network from the same AC wall outlet...
Thats what a "powerline" type of device is.....I have one at my gf's apt. it pushes ethernet data over your electrical wires simultaneously with your electricty. I also have a Ubiquiti Nano station running exactly as your asking about. ( Electricity but no data cable can be run)

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't run the cameras through the router. ISP style routers have limited bandwidth capabilities. Run cameras to a switch, run the controlling PC to the switch. Run the switch to the router for local and remote, aggregated, viewing access. Remote access through a VPN.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats what a "powerline" type of device is.....I have one at my gf's apt. it pushes ethernet data over your electrical wires simultaneously with your electricty. I also have a Ubiquiti Nano station running exactly as your asking about. ( Electricity but no data cable can be run)
I looked into those Nano stations but for my pruposes, I just need to go around the house, not long distance...Those do look really useful though