Looking for replacement cameras for coax

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was hoping that I would be able to replace my home's coax cameras with brand new IP cameras. Then, we realized the cost of re-wiring over a dozen cameras on our larger property and also the dangers of working in the attic.

I was just wondering if you'd have recommendations for solid, preferrably 4k hd-tvi or hd-cvi cameras (preferrably power over coax capable) that we could just switch out on our property.
Thanks in advance

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua’s 2400 series 4MP are quite good. I’ve got a number of the variable focus turret in use, I’ll post some samples. They use the same 1/1.8 sensor as the current go to IP camera model 5442

Ive only played with one of the 2800 series 4K versions, can’t really say I was super impressed over the 2400 series but they would get you 4K

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.
Do you think the night vision would be limited with the 4k versions? within the 2800 series?
Also, what do you think of hd-tvi vs hd-cvi ?

Thanks very much!

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And would ethernet over coax adapters be a possible solution here?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I’ve tested the adapters, they work well. But for a lot of cameras they get pricey one at each end..

Yeah the 4K version uses the same great sensor as the 4MP, but like the comparable IP models, I feel the 1/1.8 is just a little small for 4K.
They do very well at night, of course adding white light or extra IR makes any camera better in low light.

As to TVI I’ve not used them as I have Dahua systems (XVR, NVRs) so all CVI, and it pays to match manufacturer equipment.

The biggest downside/challenge on CVI vs IP is the lack of ability to have separate day/night exposure profiles. Daytime is easy with just about any camera. On most I’ve been able to dial in an acceptable image with little or no motion blur, sometimes by adding night lighting.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright, so I had an installer come in today and he told me that re-wiring wouldn't be extremely difficult and I've decided to rewire my house with cat 6 and use new IP cameras instead.
I've heard of some great 4k Dahua cameras that have recently come out. Are there specific models you guys would recommend? I think the preference is for turret cameras correct? And I'd also need a new NVR as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, so I had an installer come in today and he told me that re-wiring wouldn't be extremely difficult and I've decided to rewire my house with cat 6 and use new IP cameras instead.
I've heard of some great 4k Dahua cameras that have recently come out. Are there specific models you guys would recommend? I think the preference is for turret cameras correct? And I'd also need a new NVR as well.
I'll let others speak to cams (mine are not the latest) and the NVR (I use Blue Iris VMS on a PC) but I do suggest that YOU buy the cable and not leave it up to the installer.

You want solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) cable with a jacket rated for it's use: "CMR" for in walls, between floors, attics, ceilings and crawl spaces; "outdoor-rated" (UV and moisture) if exposed to elements; "direct burial" if in-ground or even if in conduit underground.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll let others speak to cams (mine are not the latest) and the NVR (I use Blue Iris VMS on a PC) but I do suggest that YOU buy the cable and not leave it up to the installer.

You want solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) cable with a jacket rated for it's use: "CMR" for in walls, between floors, attics, ceilings and crawl spaces; "outdoor-rated" (UV and moisture) if exposed to elements; "direct burial" if in conduit in-ground.
can you recommenda place to purchase this? A link would be great.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given that cameras, even a 4K, don't produce that much data and are equipped with a 10/100 NIC, any cable past CAT5, technically speaking, is over kill. CAT5E or CAT 6 is more than sufficient. With 21 cameras running, a mix of 2, 4 and 5MP, the gig NIC in my BI machine for the cameras is running at about 150Mb/ps.

Last edited:

vidman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last edited: