Looking for the "perfect" IP PoE camera for maximum coverage with limited height considerations

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've tried dome & bullet style (currently using a bullet with 3840 x 2160 resolution) & I cannot seem to find a camera that when mounted 9 1/2 ' high to effectively cover a 30 ' x 30 ' space with an immediate 90 degree down angle (to cover gate) & extend to cover two vehicles parked in the back garage lot. I was trying to find some magic calculator (similar to the LED Projector calculator where you enter Lumens, diagonal distance & aspect ratio) that would tell me if such a camera exists or if my coverage vantage point is all wrong?
I'll post a couple images (below) & visually you will see current limitations & desired outcome to better cover the space in question (note the "pink" in the top left of the image #1 is where the camera is mounted).
It is mounted there to prevent theft, tampering & shield it from severe weather.

Ok, #1 of 2 Basically 30’ x 30’ x 9.5 ‘ high. Set at max resolution = 3840 x 2160, (it is a UltraHD 8MP bullet camera).
1of2.png
& #2 of 2
2of2.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need more than one camera unless you only care to OBSERVE and not IDENTIFY.

The focal length is the driving factor on wide the camera looks. Telling us bullet/turret and resolution without make/model is uselss. Was it a 2.8mm lens or 8mm lens?

Most would install 3-4 cameras. One on either side of both garage doors.

Putting the camera higher to prevent tampering or theft is silly. Most people are oblivious to them anyway and if they want to damage them, they will regardless of where placed. My neighbor has had his on his fence post that is less than 3 feet from the public sidewalk. Cams are only 4 feet high and nobody has touched them...most haven't even noticed them! They have been there for years.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was a 2.8 mm lens, I didn't mention vendor as resolution (& apparently lens) I thought would be sufficient (& not to dish the vendor as I made the assumption, my ignorance is more of a factor).
Yes, that is the debatable aspect, will they tamper with them?
In the front they did & I got a little ingenious to deter it from happening again.
The weather was also another factor but I suppose just mounting a foot or so above the gate post is the alternate option.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that is 2.8mm, to see that whole area with one camera it will need to be a fisheye, but remember that IDENTIFY becomes a lot harder the smaller the focal length.

You may on occasion get some punk screw with the camera - was it a perp or a mischievous kid that moved it?

So then you employ cameras at different heights and locations. An overview camera higher where you have it now, and then a few a little lower to get a clean capture of the perp.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We've had many issues here with "roaming types", multiple vehicle break-in's, had vagrants bat it down for no reason as they pass by.
The front cameras I managed to protect & have good view.
I think relocation is the only solution, back against the first (primary) garage behind the gate post & flush up against the garage exterior wall raised up a foot or so just below the soffits of the primary garage (green door).

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if you get a tougher camera body like the 5442 Turret, thats made of steel, and get it fastened well, swatting it shouldn't budge it.
I'd be inclined to mount one on that stucco garage wall AND the pink marked soffit area. Consider thru-bolting the camera thru the wall, so they break their fingers.
Can anybody refresh my memory and tell me if the
IPC-T2431T-AS has a strong metal body as well?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, redeploy the bullet camera to the garage & then add a dome/turret up in the top of the other garage overhang (pink zone).

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Bullets have a lot more meat to grab onto. I'd be inclined to try Turrets when you can budget them into your system. I suppose though, with a hammer it wouldn't survive either way.
Birdhouse cam? fake deer statue cam? second trash Bin as a Dumpster Cam?

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think "Dumpster cam" will have some issues (too many snoopers).
I came to a compromise & aided with a neat idea from my brother.
We collect the magnets off of failing hard drives (the old spinning types, the magnets are impressively strong). Screwed them onto a piece of 2x4 & bolted the camera onto that & hung it in the eavestrough, partially out of regular line of sight. it will capture anyone breaking into either vehicle or entering the yard from the back.
How tough the magnets are in a storm, we'll see but I tie wrapped the PoE cable to a eavestrough cross beam support stanchion, if it breaks loose, it'll just dangle.
Thanks for the input & ideas. I think when I get around to getting another long ethernet cable, maybe a PoE dome camera will be added (the PoE network switch is in the house basement so I need ~50m length).
final.png