Looking for this rather special IP cam

Narusitel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. Looking for a mobile IP cam recomendation for a very specific use.
The cam must:
be battery powered
have max. full HD 1920x1080 resolution
be wireless
be 60fps
be onvif
allow continuos recording and record and transmit min. 9 hours full HD @ 60fps
be outdoor
have some video adjustment to compensate for the various light conditions
(no IR, siren, sound recording or spot light needed)

Right now we use Axxon next VMS. Thank you very much for your help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Looking for a mobile IP cam recomendation for a very specific use.
The cam must:
be battery powered
be wireless
be 60fps
be onvif
be outdoor
(no IR, siren, sound recording or spot light needed)

Right now we use Axxon next VMS. Thank you very much for your help.
Welcome @Narusitel

Why 60fps?

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
The cam must:
be battery powered
be wireless
be 60fps
be onvif
be outdoor
Good luck on Battery powered with continuous recording. Only solutions is something with an extremely large battery bank or solar panel.
Nothing will be off the shelf, all-in-one at those specs.

My first thoughts is systems designed for construction sites or off-grid systems with a Point-to-point wireless system.

Is 60fps needed because this will be a portable weather camera or something else to take for events?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, you will find that a camera that meets most of your requirements does not exist.

These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for. If 24 FPS works for the big screen, I think 15 FPS is more than enough for phones and tablets LOL.

If your unique case requires that type of FPS, you will find surveillance cameras are not going to meet your needs and you need to get a camera capable of that - or spend some serious money.

We have had recently people come here after purchasing cameras in two instances where they were wanting 60FPS - one was a tennis club and another was a youth soccer club. In both cases they found that these types of cameras were not capable of what they were wanting to do. Sure the cameras could run faster FPS, but it still didn't provide them with the level of detail they were looking for. I recall the soccer club had a decent quality PTZ that is fine for a residential or retail/commercial installation, but to cover the action of the soccer field it wasn't capable of meeting their needs. And because of the extremely fast motion, it was creating a halo type effect around the action (which can be seen in certain lighting conditions). These cameras are good, but not good enough to catch the rotation of a ball for example.

Shutter speed is much more important than FPS to capture details.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Technically, it is doable. But, you have to build it. Direct feed from a camera will struggle with wifi, particularly at 60 fps. Here would be my approach:

1. Find camera that can meet your tech specs for the camera only. See if you can find a name brand wifi camera with integral wifi. I'll assume you can't. Still get a name brand camera, or you will regret it.
2. Find suitable PtP wireless solution, like Ubiquiti Nanostation - figure out your distance, etc.
3. Layout out system, including POE injectors, if needed. power converters since batteries will likely be 12 V.
5. Add up the power requirements of everything.
4. Determine how long it has to run on battery. You may revise this after the next step.
6. Set the battery size based on AH requirements.

My very rough guesstimate says the camera and radio pull very little, they are designed to run on POE. So a 60 W switch should do it. So 60W*12 hours = 720 WH, which is doable with a single Lithium Ion battery. You would need at least two so you can charge one while using one. But, YOU have to assemble it all.

A;so, as @wittaj said, shutter speed and FPS are NOT the same. You say you need detail on fast moving objects. Understand the difference between shutter speed, which typically goes to 1/100,000 second and frame rate, which goes to 60 fps, max, for the cameras used here. Oh, and to get that shutter speed, you will need LOTS of light. LOTS!

Edit: I should add while the Dahua 5442 series is rated at 60 fps and 1/100,000 second shutter speeds, I've never heard of them being run faster than 30 fps and 1/2,000 second shutter speeds.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We are recording fast moving motion and need to recognize some details when watching the paused picture frame by frame. If only the fps would be the problem, we could compromise there for 40-50 fps.
Hi @Narusitel

fps .. does not equate to "crisp clear" image of a moving object .. you want a solid shutter speed, quality lens, quality sensor chips ... this is not likely with all the requirements ( such as battery operated ) in an off the shelf product ( as iwanttosee notes ) that we are aware of.

If you are willing to run your own batter supply and wifi setup, you could probably find some nicer 2MP IP cameras from Hikvision or Dahua which could meet some of the specs..

Are you willing to setup a custom setup?

Specs searched for:
Hello. Looking for a mobile IP cam recomendation for a very specific use.​
The cam must:​
be battery powered
be wireless
be 60fps
be onvif
allow continuous recording and record and transmit min. 9 hours full HD @ 60fps
be outdoor
(no IR, siren, sound recording or spot light needed)​
Right now we use Axxon next VMS. Thank you very much for your help.​

Narusitel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for all your answers.
This post started because we wanted to get rid of the ethernet cable for PoE/data and speed up our setup. So we can sacrifice the battery but not the wi-fi. Most of the time we have power cable available but what we do not have is the time to set up the wi-fi at the camera. We need the solution to be simple and fast to setup/take down. Place the camera, turn it on, record. If we omit the battery, we get: place the camera, run the extention cable, plug it in, record. Not perfect but OK.
I understand the difference between shutter speed and fps. Yes we do need those higher fps. Many times I miss a frame just when I need one. Light is not a problem, we always record outdoors during day time.
What I do not know yet, what data rate to expect at fullHD @ 50fps @ 8Mbps bit rate (no audio) and if wi-fi and PC can handle such stream.
So is there such camera?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wifi is unlikely to handle the data stream you want, reliably. Normal security type cameras provide no buffering and will not "catch up". A dedicated RF link can handle the traffic, but wifi has shown to be problematic. You can try a Dahua 5442 series camera, which lists the ability to run at 60 fps, but no one on here as ever seriously tried it for what you are asking. The requirements of folks on here are 15 -20 fps, 1/120 second to, rarely, 1/2,000 second for license plate captures at speed. We have provided you the best answers that we know. We have ZERO need or experience, for the purposes of this forum, for what you describe.

If it were me, I would buy a $180 camera, and a $50 ethernet cable, and try it. If the camera works, great. If not, well, you spent less than $250 and know it doesn't work. Ethernet cables are cheap, and go 300 feet reliably. Just get a bunch of those and use them as "extension cable". Perfect, no, but without someone spending a million bucks to develop exactly what you want, it may be the best solution.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And again as I mentioned, without knowing your use, we have to conclude that surveillance cameras will not catch what you are trying to catch.

These cameras are good, but they will not capture with any detail the stitch of a baseball for example. Heck, we don't even get individual hairs on a person in ideal conditions LOL.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What I do not know yet, what data rate to expect at fullHD @ 50fps @ 8Mbps bit rate (no audio) and if wi-fi and PC can handle such stream.
8 Mbps is a data rate and it is well within what a properly performing wifi connection will handle. The problem is getting a wifi connection to perform properly for 9 hours straight when it is not in an ideal environment (dedicated spectrum, line of sight, adequate signal strength).

A PC can record an 8 Mbps data stream no problem (limited mainly by network and disk speed, which are typically orders of magnitude faster than 8 Mbps). Most PCs would also be able to decode and render 1080p video at 60 FPS in realtime without issue.

Plenty of IP cameras support 1080p at 60 FPS. Not the majority of them, but they are out there and easy to find.

If you're willing to get power to the locations and deal with a little extra clutter, then you could get a wifi client device with a directional antenna such as this one and you'd have wifi performance that is better than you could get from most cameras with wifi onboard. It would be advisable to put the electrical connections in a weatherproof enclosure.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're confused. 8Mbps tells you exactly the date rate, 8 Megabits per second.

Here is a calculator you can use to calculate the bandwidth but that doesn't mean your ideal camera exists.

What fast motion are you trying to record?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for all your answers.
This post started because we wanted to get rid of the ethernet cable for PoE/data and speed up our setup. So we can sacrifice the battery but not the wi-fi. Most of the time we have power cable available but what we do not have is the time to set up the wi-fi at the camera. We need the solution to be simple and fast to setup/take down. Place the camera, turn it on, record. If we omit the battery, we get: place the camera, run the extention cable, plug it in, record. Not perfect but OK.
I understand the difference between shutter speed and fps. Yes we do need those higher fps. Many times I miss a frame just when I need one. Light is not a problem, we always record outdoors during day time.
So is there such camera?
Hi @Narusitel

So is there such camera?

WiFi and reliable constant streaming ip security cameras many of us have found problematic.

Best solutions were to use ubiquiti wireless gear ( or another enterprise / business quality brand ) and a wired IP PoE camera(s)

What is the use case for your needs? Farmers market?

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still not sure of your specific use case, but I take it that's sensitive..

What about going down this rabbit hole

• GoPro style camera
  • Wireless transmitter
  • Battery pack backup
  • Raspberry Pi server

Feed the GoPro video stream to the wireless RPi, and then have it VPN it back to your own network.

I've never owned a Pi, so this is all conjecture but it occurs to me that it would be an ultra portable setup, excellent video quality, wifi enabled, and the Pi lends itself to so many needs when configured.