Looking for Video Editing Software - that features redaction of certain areas of video

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After converting and exporting a Blue Iris video clip, for one clip I want to redact out a car registration plate (licence plate). Which software would you guys recommend?

I've got the Adobe Photography subscription package and included in that is Premier Rush (video editor, if you can call it that) but the redaction feature is non-existent; checking Adobe, not included in my subscription is Premier Pro that has a heap of editing features but costs a fortune. All I want to do is redact parts of a video clip.

Any suggestions?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the past, I've used Davinci Resolve software (free version). Found a video showing how to do that with it, not sure if it can be done using the free version...

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use a open source product called Shotcut for editing. I can blur out faces, license plates, addresses, etc. Plus it is free.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't have any experience doing this - but it got me interested in looking into it because it is something I may want to do in the future

With that being said, the first place I turn to when I am looking for 'free' software is Ninite. I think they have top rated software and they make it very easy to download, update and it does not have any add-ons, etc.

So, looking at Ninite, the first thing that attracted my attention under imaging is 'Blender'. I then googled it and up popped this video how to blur things out - may be worth looking into further

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For my very amateurish video editing of clips I use Kdenlive. I run it under Linux, but there are versions for Linux, Windows and Mac. It is supposedly very powerful, and free. I haven't tried to blur anything, but it sure seems like it does everything else I've thought of doing, and more.

Kdenlive | Libre Video Editor

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well played around with Blender a little bit this morning. I followed the tutorial I linked to and I think it turned out pretty good. Keep in mind when you make the mask, you can always change it during the video - larger, smaller, etc. to cover the areas you want to. I now see why sometimes you will see a large area blurred out because you are literally going through the video frame by frame and moving the mast manually to cover the area
View attachment Blender.mp4

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Resolve is good but a very steep learning curve. I have a copy but haven't really got around to learning it yet.

Windows 10 has a video editor built in.

You can find it in the Start Menu under "Video Editor" or by searching in the task bar seach box by typing the same. Haven't used it, but it should be simple. Is a danger it could be too simple.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, all good suggestions.

Windows 10 has a video editor built in.

You can find it in the Start Menu under "Video Editor" or by searching in the task bar seach box by typing the same. Haven't used it, but it should be simple. Is a danger it could be too simple.
I just gave the built-in Windows 10 Video Editor a go. It has a feature where you can overlay a 3D effect, size and position it anywhere on the frame and apply to all the frames. That comes close to what I want but why it doesn't offer the same thing as either a solid colour block (without music) or a blur block is beyond me, it's exactly the same feature or process. In an example I tested, I used a burning fire as the redacting feature, the finished edited video just looked so stupid and ridiculous.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't you create a solid back block in a photo editor of the correct size and then save it and import it into the media pool for Video Editor? You could then add it to the timeline and stretch it to the length required.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can't you create a solid back block in a photo editor of the correct size and then save it and import it into the media pool for Video Editor? You could then add it to the timeline and stretch it to the length required.
I read your comment on my mobile later (not at my computer) and instantly thought, why didn't I think of that. Anyway, back at my computer, again, another quick look, and no, there is no import feature. The program itself, reminds me of the Microsoft Paint program, useless.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Only just seen this after the comments this morning. I'm guessing the OP has gone. Also failed to take intoa ccount he wanted a mask on video not a still.

If you can't import into blender, most video editors allow you to create background objects. Create another track on top of the timeline, and create a solid background of black colour. Use masking to reduce the the black colour to the size and position of the number plate. The track sitting on top takes dominance so the black should obscure the video track. Using masking to adjust the size will mean the underlying track will show through except on the masked area so placing the mask over the number plate area will create a black block. That should enable you to cover the number plate at a specific point to capture a still. If you want vidoe with it obscured, then you need to use keying so the mask moves with and tracks the cars movement during the video.

I'm sure Youtube will have a tutorial for creating a track with a solid background, masking and keying.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm guessing the OP has gone.
No, I'm still here. It has been ages since I raised this topic. Never did achieve what I wanted to achieve, other things got in the way, but now I might have a another look at things.
It's a cool editor. By selecting the social media preset, you can convert videos to one of the formats supported by the selected social networks.
Doesn't address the issue at hand.