Looking to add more cameras but need advice

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 10 cameras currently. 7 are interior and 3 are exterior. The 3 exterior are dahua 2mp starlight cameras. I have them hardwired. Recently someone vandalized my property and i want to put more exterior cameras up. I haven’t bought cameras in years and am out of the loop. I want to add at least 2 more exterior cameras. I was also interested in maybe some type of ptz that will survey an area and then maybe auto track people? I have blue iris but am not super savy but have no issue doing the physical install. I see dahua has starlight and starlight plus and some color night camera tech. What is the difference? I’m looking for good night quality and affordability. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Starlight, etc is just marketing terms. You can ignore that.

Full color cameras are not magic and need light - either use the built-in white light (most here do not use it as it looks stupid where the camera is placed LOL) or you have enough white light that you can use that camera. If you don't have enough white light, then you need a camera that can see infrared as the Full color cameras cannot see infrared.

PTZs are great but are always looking the wrong way. But in a well established fixed camera system, it can be a great compliment because you will use the fixed cams as spotter cams to direct the PTZ where to look and then start tracking.

Take a look at this thread that provides recommendations for the the distance to IDENTIFY. These represent the overall best value in terms of performance day and night and cost.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a picture from 1AM this morning from my Dahua 5442E-Z4E varifocal. There is a streetlight, and that helps some with the nighttime viewing. I have it set at 125 FPS.

Edit: I forgot to say that I have 6 of these cameras. Four are doing license plate duty.

Camera 7F 7042023 Night.jpg

Last edited:

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
they look good unfortunately I dont have any street lights to aid in quality