Looking to Update Swann NDH-815 to Hikvision

smittyjf

n3wb
Reaction score
I read in another thread it can be done (unless I misunderstood), but I've searched everywhere for the firmware and can't seem to find the right one. I have (what I think is the right one) from Hikvision's website, but it has a .dav file in it and it want's a different extension to upload it.
Am I on the wrong track?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Forget reolink,swann,hikvision

Get a dahua starlight line camera. This will require new set up you could get a hp for 300

smittyjf

n3wb
Reaction score
Forget reolink,swann,hikvision

Get a dahua starlight line camera. This will require new set up you could get a hp for 300
I am Looking into other cameras too. But right now just looking to set up a test system with a few existing cameras that I have. A little history is we currently have 9 geovision systems going in 9 locations (32 camera analog systems) we are looking into transforming into Ip systems with the same computers (Core I5 16gig ram 4 security grade Segate HD's)
I want to look into Blu Iris also, but have a 16 ch Ip dongle to mess around with. Just can't get Swann to work with it right now. Swann seems to have the 815 locked down tight. I wanted to try a Hikvision FW to see if it will recognize it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It was my understanding that these were Hikvision cameras until someone else here mentioned these were not Hikvision-rebranded. What brand of cameras is Swann relying on now? It even seems that the NVR8-7300 and NVR8-7400 are no longer Hikvision-rebranded. I'm already thinking about setting a return. Would greatly appreciate the insight on this matter, thanks! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was my understanding that these were Hikvision cameras until someone else here mentioned these were not Hikvision-rebranded. What brand of cameras is Swann relying on now? It even seems that the NVR8-7300 and NVR8-7400 are no longer Hikvision-rebranded. I'm already thinking about setting a return. Would greatly appreciate the insight on this matter, thanks! :)
swan was always a mix, mostly hikvision...it was the 820 camera that was hikvison..regardless if you can return the kit, there are much better options today than when those kits were popular..start reading the forum, particularly the dahua section

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank fenderman, I'm new to surveillance systems, hopefully it won't take long for me to digest the plethora of information on the forum.
I started off with a Sannce system, then tested out a Z-modo. Clearly, I had the initial intention of being cheap, and quickly realized that that wasn't the key to getting a decent system set up (most of these companies are proud of the closed-system setup, where we can't use multiple brands of cameras on the the same NVR). Some of these companies stick to using remote apps (iOS and Android-based), and refuse to allow their customers to view on a web interface. I'm pleased with Amcrest's effort to make their web-interface intuitive. I checked out a Swann system in person the other day and was pleased with the picture quality, but when I quickly realized its virtually impossible to gain access to their system through a PC, its led me to reconsider the options.

When I started off with a Sannce last month, I liked the features of CMS 2.0. I could connect a PC to the network, access the cameras and NVR without having to physically check in and access the user interface around the clock.

swan was always a mix, mostly hikvision...it was the 820 camera that was hikvison..regardless if you can return the kit, there are much better options today than when those kits were popular..start reading the forum, particularly the dahua section

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank fenderman, I'm new to surveillance systems, hopefully it won't take long for me to digest the plethora of information on the forum.
I started off with a Sannce system, then tested out a Z-modo. Clearly, I had the initial intention of being cheap, and quickly realized that that wasn't the key to getting a decent system set up (most of these companies are proud of the closed-system setup, where we can't use multiple brands of cameras on the the same NVR). Some of these companies stick to using remote apps (iOS and Android-based), and refuse to allow their customers to view on a web interface. I'm pleased with Amcrest's effort to make their web-interface intuitive. I checked out a Swann system in person the other day and was pleased with the picture quality, but when I quickly realized its virtually impossible to gain access to their system through a PC, its led me to reconsider the options.

When I started off with a Sannce last month, I liked the features of CMS 2.0. I could connect a PC to the network, access the cameras and NVR without having to physically check in and access the user interface around the clock.
Amcrest does nothing other than pay dahua to rebrand their cameras. Go straight to dahua and you have a cheaper solution with many more camera options..see the thread on the startlight turret.
Swann systems that are rebradned hikvisions direct access via browser.
Sannce is complete garbage with fake amazon reviews....see fakespot.com
You can do exactly the same with dahua and hikvision.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, any idea how I can get a hold of a 4MP startlight turret in the US without having to go through Aliexpress? :)
I'd be willing to give this option a try. Need a 4MP for the driveway, whereas another 4 cameras (being bullet-style 2-4MP range) would be sufficient for my other locations. Thanks again :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, any idea how I can get a hold of a 4MP startlight turret in the US without having to go through Aliexpress? :)
I'd be willing to give this option a try. Need a 4MP for the driveway, whereas another 4 cameras (being bullet-style 2-4MP range) would be sufficient for my other locations. Thanks again :)
There is no 4mp starlight, its 2mp...dont chase the megapixels...
You never "need" a 4mp in your driveway...4mp is not 2x the pixel density of 2mp...it doesnt work that way..using a varifocal lens you can often get better detail than a fixed lens 4mp camera...read the thread and see how much better the low light image is..
The turret is not available in the us...the bullet is at a much higher cost...309 or so via B&H

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. As my original intent was set at a particular budget, I was using the number of megapixels to suffice the distance needed to zoom in before the pixels washout. Its almost a 75-100 foot driveway and getting a picture of a license plate is very important. I have very limited mounting space and as you suggested, one varifocal lens would be a better option here (its pretty expensive and would quickly tip over my budget, haha).

With the other four cameras a fixed lens 2mp camera should be more than adequate.

If I was to go with the Dahua route, is there anyway to get a hold of legit seller in the US? Somehow, I'm not all that content with ordering equipment like this from overseas. :)

My apologies for being off-topic on this thread. I'm sure many already know that its not wise to rely on companies like Swann, Lorex, and the like because it would be under their jurisdiction to do whatever they like to their products.

There is no 4mp starlight, its 2mp...dont chase the megapixels...
You never "need" a 4mp in your driveway...4mp is not 2x the pixel density of 2mp...it doesnt work that way..using a varifocal lens you can often get better detail than a fixed lens 4mp camera...read the thread and see how much better the low light image is..
The turret is not available in the us...the bullet is at a much higher cost...309 or so via B&H

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are not capturing a plate at 75f with a 2mp camera and a standard 4mm lens..For night time, you will have to dedicate a camera to license plate capture unless you can provide enough lighting to keep the camera in day mode AND prevent noise.
I suggest you start reading the forum and better understand your needs or you will again end up with garbage.
Yes, bandh..be prepared to pay almost double.
Swann and lorex use the lower end dahua/hikvison cameras that dont perform nearly as well at night and low light when you need them most. They also limit your design choice to bullets and domes, both poor options.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Dedicating a camera for this purpose did come to mind, but expense really became a factor there. I have motion sensor lighting pointing towards driveway (I know its not always sufficient, and its probable the light will reflect off the license plate, thus creating an obstruction.

It amazes me how Swann (and other DIY kits) really market their cameras nowadays, stressing on their theory that a higher MP-count will equate to making out finer details like license plate #'s (that's their view), I'd be pleased if their fixed-lens cameras works out for me, I have yet to receive the kit, higher MP cams is also going to compromise the overall quality of night vision. I'm keeping my options open and am also strongly considering direct-Dahua / Hikvision as you suggested. If only I can get a hold of a genuine seller based in the US. :D

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dedicating a camera for this purpose did come to mind, but expense really became a factor there. I have motion sensor lighting pointing towards driveway (I know its not always sufficient, and its probable the light will reflect off the license plate, thus creating an obstruction.

It amazes me how Swann (and other DIY kits) really market their cameras nowadays, stressing on their theory that a higher MP-count will equate to making out finer details like license plate #'s (that's their view), I'd be pleased if their fixed-lens cameras works out for me, I have yet to receive the kit, higher MP cams is also going to compromise the overall quality of night vision. I'm keeping my options open and am also strongly considering direct-Dahua / Hikvision as you suggested. If only I can get a hold of a genuine seller based in the US. :D
You will NEVER be able to capture a plate at night...megapixel count is meaningless if the plate reflects the ir or there is too much noise. Stop believing the marketing its a lie. For example all their kits come with 2.8 or 4mm lenses. Well if the FOV you need to capture a plate can be seen with a 6mm,7mm, 8mm varifocal setting, then you will be getting MORE pixels with the 2mp varifocal.
Like I stated twice before, there ARE US based sellers. Be prepared to pay a premium or settle for a subpar product that would accomplish what you are looking for. Hikvision does not have a good reasonably priced low light camera at this time (they have announced a few but they are not available yet and will likely also only be available via ali)..

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the heads-up fenderman, as far as a Dahua camera setup goes, the same source would apply there as well, right? I came across Andy's info. I also came across several users mentioning they were able to flash a Hikvision firmware on their Swann NVR, but it applied to the now-discontinued NVR8-7200. I may be bit anxious in getting the setup ready for deployment. I'm still open to all advice. Thanks again. :)

You will NEVER be able to capture a plate at night...megapixel count is meaningless if the plate reflects the ir or there is too much noise. Stop believing the marketing its a lie. For example all their kits come with 2.8 or 4mm lenses. Well if the FOV you need to capture a plate can be seen with a 6mm,7mm, 8mm varifocal setting, then you will be getting MORE pixels with the 2mp varifocal.
Like I stated twice before, there ARE US based sellers. Be prepared to pay a premium or settle for a subpar product that would accomplish what you are looking for. Hikvision does not have a good reasonably priced low light camera at this time (they have announced a few but they are not available yet and will likely also only be available via ali)..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the heads-up fenderman, as far as a Dahua camera setup goes, the same source would apply there as well, right? I came across Andy's info. I also came across several users mentioning they were able to flash a Hikvision firmware on their Swann NVR, but it applied to the now-discontinued NVR8-7200. I may be bit anxious in getting the setup ready for deployment. I'm still open to all advice. Thanks again. :)
Do not attempt to flash hikvision firmware to the nvr unless you are skilled or dont mind spending hours trying to get it to work.
If you want to try a kit, buy from costco, you can return it anytime.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The only system I could find at Costco was the Lorex (running on older BNC cabling). If I'm not mistaken they swapped out their Swann kits long time ago. :( Amazon has a good return policy too, but they don't have the older kits available. Out of the five cameras I require, one should definitely be a vari-focal type as you suggested. I just need to create a customized bundle now to get "everything" working hand-in-hand. Hopefully, won't run into compatibility issues. That's why OEM or building a server is the way to go. I can only go as far as the budget allows therefore not looking for something fancy (and not trying to over-do it). I need options for expansion, customization, the ability to access from anywhere and any device. :)

The big names in DIY security really got most of us good. This forum is helping me mediate over the frustration in finding the compatible equipment.

Do not attempt to flash hikvision firmware to the nvr unless you are skilled or dont mind spending hours trying to get it to work.
If you want to try a kit, buy from costco, you can return it anytime.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only system I could find at Costco was the Lorex (running on older BNC cabling). If I'm not mistaken they swapped out their Swann kits long time ago. :( Amazon has a good return policy too, but they don't have the older kits available. Out of the five cameras I require, one should definitely be a vari-focal type as you suggested. I just need to create a customized bundle now to get "everything" working hand-in-hand. Hopefully, won't run into compatibility issues. That's why OEM or building a server is the way to go. I can only go as far as the budget allows therefore not looking for something fancy (and not trying to over-do it). I need options for expansion, customization, the ability to access from anywhere and any device. :)
costco has a bunch of lorex ip systems...search ip camera
You will only be able to build a custom kit if you do it yourself...start reading.