Looking to upgrade cameras

bamaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Realize that you will ultimately have more cams than four. The @sebastiantombs rule of thumb is that cams multiply like rabbits.
Yes, I certainly see the benefit of better POV angles. How about this? I could leave the existing camera in the corner, and add the two new T5442's over the center garage door and one at the right corner. That would give me more perspectives and I can position the cameras so that they are not blinded by the lamps.

Looks like I need to order 2 more T5442s and a new switch. #rabbithole

house.jpg

earth.jpg

bamaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a new switch?

I currently have the TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch (4 PoE Ports @55W)

How about this?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a new switch?

I currently have the TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch (4 PoE Ports @55W)

How about this?

Any thoughts?
I have that Netgear switch, and it's been rock solid for almost 3 years now.
I've always purchased Netgears, and never had an issue.
Buy more ports than you think you will need.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had good results so far from the BV-Tech PoE switches, I like that they have two non-PoE ports, so you can daisy chain them, like I have one at each end of my house, each with up to 4 cameras, and the one thats at the south end, has the A/V system's switch on the passthrough, for me, at least, that means a lot less ethernet cable

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Watch the BV Tech switches. They use a "marginal" switching power supply and have problems coming up under load. Mine crapped out on the third power cycle, power failure, before I got it onto a UPS.
ah, good to know. I have a UPS at each switch currently :D cams are no good if they go down with the power, after all. the NVR is on the big UPS ... I notice their supplies are 48VDC 53VDC which is fairly unusual.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not unusual for PoE. PoE runs at 48 volts. Most switches that use an external brick for power run at 56 volts for additional headroom.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a 16 port and the power supply was built in. I've seen bigger components used to charge an electric shaver.

bamaster

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the 2 new Dahua T5442's. They are a nice upgrade!

Couple questions....

First, the tree and shrub in this shot is triggering the motion sensor. Should I block those zones out or just let it record? Any thoughts?

front1.jpg

Second, I thought I bought a PoE switch with enough ports. I totally forgot about the other network cables I use. So, 8 ports is not enough. For now, I linked my two switches serially. Is this ok? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a proper 16p port switch?

switches.jog.jpg

Suggestions?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the 2 new Dahua T5442's. They are a nice upgrade!

Couple questions....

First, the tree and shrub in this shot is triggering the motion sensor. Should I block those zones out or just let it record? Any thoughts?

View attachment 96694

Second, I thought I bought a PoE switch with enough ports. I totally forgot about the other network cables I use. So, 8 ports is not enough. For now, I linked my two switches serially. Is this ok? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a proper 16p port switch?

View attachment 96695

Suggestions?
Linking two switchs is fine.

Turn off the motion in BI.
Setup IVS with Human and Automobile filtering, and the false motion will for the most part go away.
You do it in the cameras own setup screen.
Be sure to perform this as well.
IVS/Global Setup - Dahua Wiki

Then set BI to obtain triggers from the camera. Study the BI help file.

Also see here:Blue Iris Support - YouTube

bamaster

n3wb
Reaction score
Linking two switchs is fine.

Turn off the motion in BI.
Setup IVS with Human and Automobile filtering, and the false motion will for the most part go away.
You do it in the cameras own setup screen.
Be sure to perform this as well.
IVS/Global Setup - Dahua Wiki

Then set BI to obtain triggers from the camera. Study the BI help file.
Whoa! This is great info! I never heard of IVS sensing before. Going to read up on that, fo sho!

Ya know, I am REALLY impressed with these T5442 cameras. They are so much better than my other cameras. I think I'm going to buy a couple more. (Don't judge! I can quit buying cameras whenever I want!) I think I'm going to splurge and get a a proper 16 port switch, though. I can't close my closet wiring cabinet with the two switches in there, and I only have one AC outlet on my battery backup. It'll make things more tidy.

On a personal note.... you and this board are awesome! Thanks for your help!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras AI will work with Blue Iris. What you cannot do prior to DeepStack was do a search by humans or faces with BI. That is the type of stuff you could do with the NVR AI, but you can trigger for those events in BI.

But if all you care about is triggering the camera to send you an alert or push or SMS for human and/or car and do not need all the other bells and whistles that DeepStack offers, this works very well.

How to use the AI in the camera instead of BI motion detection:

Go to Smart Plan and select IVS and hit save.

Then go to IVS and add an IVS rule. Use Intrusion and select the appears and crosses boxes. Draw a box/outline around the area you want it to trigger for, but try not to do the full frame to give the camera time to recognize the object. Then check the box for human and/or vehicle. There is no sensitivity settings in this setup.

Leave min size to 0,0 and do not do any other changes and hit save.

Make sure both motion detection and Smart Motion Detection are not checked in the camera.

Then in BI you need to set it up in two places. In the motion tab, select the camera's digital input or motion alarm.

Uncheck the BI Motion Sensor.

Then go back to the setup screen where you key in the camera IP address and user and password and down in the lower left (or up a little depending on the version you are running), will be the checkbox for pull ONVIF triggers.

I ran a clone camera for awhile using BI motion to compare it to the ONVIF triggers to confirm I wasn't missing anything. Now for those cams I just use ONVIF triggers.

Having the camera do motion detection instead of BI does free up CPU as motion detection is one of the larger CPU drains.

I repeat, do not have Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection turned on in the camera.

This will eliminate your false triggers.