looking to upgrade outdoor camera, advice and recommendations please

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, I currently have 5 outdoor cameras around my house, all are getting old, poor night images, 2 dlink dis-2332l a dis-7010l and a ptz dlink dcs-6915 with external ir emitter all hooked up to blue iris.

looking for recommendations to upgrade, especially night time images that are plug and play (ish) with bi. I would call myself an enthusiastic amateur.

so without backlighting or additional security lights is there a camera that with give me decent colour night time, or do I still need black and white and ir? or am I better getting a cam with built in led light?
I have cat 5 available and decent wifi at each cam location

and while looking at cameras what do you look for, for good night time video; sensor size? min lux? mega pixel ?

as a starting point I have been looking at 2019 New Smart Model HFW5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Full-color Fixed-focal Bullet Network Camera , free DHL shipping

many thanks for reading this far!

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sorry forgot to mention ideally built in microphone is essential

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Full color at night with no ambient light is an expensive proposition, as in $2K and up for the camera, lens and enclosure. I wouldn't call it plug and play either. One of the things that dLink and others do is show you a nice, full color, night time shot that is a still image. Most cameras with decent sensors can do that, in fact, but the problem is the shutter speed is so low that any motion is just a blur or ghost. To capture motion the shutter speed needs to be 1/60 or higher, basic photography, not a few seconds as is used for the wonderful advertising stills.

My standard welcome -

Start out by looking in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a ton of very useful information in there and it needs to be viewed on a computer, not a phone or tablet. The Cliff Notes will be of particular interest although the camera models listed there are a generation old at this point. The best way to determine what kind of camera you need in each location and where each location should really be is to buy one varifocal camera first and set up a test stand for it that can be easily moved around. Test using that, viewing using the web interface of the camera, during the day and at night. Have someone walk around behaving like a miscreant and see if you can identify them. There is also information for choosing hardware and securing the system along with a whole bunch of other good stuff.

Don't chase megapixels unless you have a really BIG budget. General rule of thumb is that a 4MP camera will easily outperform an 8MP camera when they both have the same sensor size. Reason being that there are twice as many pixels in the 8MP versus the 4MP. This results in only half the available light getting to each pixel in an 8MP that a pixel in the 4MP "sees".

A dedicated PC doesn't need to be either expensive to purchase or to run. A used business class machine can be had from eBay and various other sources. The advances made in Blue Iris make it easily possible to run a fairly large system on relatively inexpensive hardware which also makes power consumption low, as in under 50 watts in many cases. The biggest expenses turn out to be hard drives for storing video and a PoE switch to power the cameras and, of course, the cameras themselves.

Three rules
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar specs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

VPN Information Thread

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
many thanks for the quick reply, im currently reading the cliff notes on Dahua just now! I think I will probably go with 1 or 2 5442's from EmpireAndy however not sure on a specific model yet!

off to now read all the review links you posted, many thanks , ill keep you posted

I need to try add a video of last weeks attempted intruder with an axe, despite being within a couple meters of the camera, the faces are washed out and motion is too blurry

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Low-light is always a challenge. All cameras require some light, and the more of it the better honestly. Especially if you have people coming to your house with an axe. I hope you have a working alarm system. Especially these days with everyone wearing masks, cameras can only do so much.

5442 are a great camera choice for low light unless you have a much larger budget (in which case I wouldn't know what to recommend). Many of us prefer the "turret" form factor instead of the bullet that you mentioned in your original post, based on the theory that spiders and other bugs won't be all over the lens as much. I like turrets because I think they mount more securely. I've had too many bullets that move a lot from a simple bump.

Turret 5442 examples:
Visible-light LED: US $150.39 6% OFF|2019 New Arriving AI IP Camera IPC T5442TM AS LED 4MP Full color Starlight+ WDR Turret AI Network Camera, free DHL shipping|Surveillance Cameras| - AliExpress
Infrared LED: US $153.61 6% OFF|2019 New Arriving IP Camera IPC T5442TM AS 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Eyeball AI Network Camera , free DHL shipping|Surveillance Cameras| - AliExpress

Particularly if you want good clear captures at a longer distance, you may want additional lighting. I installed two of these for my neighbor two years ago because she didn't have any external lighting on her house.

1607823825254.png

I powered them with a simple 24v 6A power brick (which theoretically could handle 144 watts, but I wouldn't push it that hard). For wire between the power supply and the lights, I used 16 gauge low voltage landscape lighting wire.