Loose Ball Joint Repair/Alternatives?

mark4312

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a few cameras, Hik 2032-style, that use friction ball joints for aiming. They're used in temporary setups, so they get moved around a lot. They've gotten so loose that they won't stay aimed anymore. Can these be repaired or are there alternative mounting solutions for these cameras that takes the ball joint out of the picture?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a cam with that specific mount but it seems many are similar in the way they tighten against the ball/swivel when the ring is rotated clockwise. Not sure about yours, but if you unscrew the tightening ring completely from the base and lift it up and away, could you place either a small flat washer or a small nut below the ball then re-assemble? The idea would be for the washer or nut to apply more material (and therefore friction) to the ball, compensating for wear.

Not saying this is the case but in the future it seems if the ring was unscrewed a bit MORE before trying to move and aim the camera then tightening it up there would not be so much wear on the ball, causing it to lose material and becoming smaller which keeps it from being tightened. :cool:

mark4312

n3wb
Reaction score
A dab of hot glue once you have it in the required position?

The glue can easily be removed with some IPA alcohol.
That's a smart idea. I'll look into that. Maybe a good excuse to buy a battery-powered hot glue gun. (More tools are always better, right??)

I don't have a cam with that specific mount but it seems many are similar in the way they tighten against the ball/swivel when the ring is rotated clockwise. Not sure about yours, but if you unscrew the tightening ring completely from the base and lift it up and away, could you place either a small flat washer or a small nut below the ball then re-assemble? The idea would be for the washer or nut to apply more material (and therefore friction) to the ball, compensating for wear.

Not saying this is the case but in the future it seems if the ring was unscrewed a bit MORE before trying to move and aim the camera then tightening it up there would not be so much wear on the ball, causing it to lose material and becoming smaller which keeps it from being tightened. :cool:
Yeah your guess seems reasonable here. Realistically, I think that style of mount is just not the best for temporary setups.

I may also be able to heat and bend the thing to tighten up the part that holds the ball, that may help.