Lorex Camera System

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a pretty sweet deal for any beginners. It comes the NVR, 8 IP cameras with 1/1.8 sensor and CAT-5 cables as well. Keep in mind Dahua manufactures and owns Lorex (Used to be Flir).

Attachments

Last edited:

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They also have kits with 4/6/10/16 cams.

Honestly if I didn't know duty for importing cams to Canada would be expensive, I might have gone for a lorex system with these cams. They are pretty well priced for dahua rebrands and available locally.

Then again it's only 2.8mm so its probably useless for ID unless you mount low and as close as possible to everything important like cars.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - Lorex website typically has the best deals around BF-cyberweek in the USA.

Also note, Lorex typically has less "smart features" vs the Dahua OEM international or US models ( i.e. may have the IVS features stripped out of the firmware - and the hardware may be slightly different.. )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Spot on, the 1831 can be had from as low as $110 from sellers on Ali-Express (shipped via e-packet of course). $140 on Andy's Amazon shop
Not really because that's just a rebranded 1831 which can probably be found cheaper.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Spot on, the 1831 can be had from as low as $110 from sellers on Ali-Express (shipped via e-packet of course). $140 on Andy's Amazon shop
Question. Why would anyone to for a 2831 with it's smaller sensor over a 1831 with 1/1.8" sensor. At that price I feel this might be a good 4th cam for my system perhaps.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually, the IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS uses the same sensor as the 1831, but with varifocal capability
Low light performance is still a tad better on the 1831 because it is fixed lens. The amount of light entering the lens can be quickly diminished as you adjust the focal length on the varifocal model. However, the varifocal model goes up 11mm whereas the highest focal length for fixed lens model is 6mm. Its replaceable but comes at a cost, you void the warranty is anything gets damaged in the process.

Question. Why would anyone to for a 2831 with it's smaller sensor over a 1831 with 1/1.8" sensor. At that price I feel this might be a good 4th cam for my system perhaps.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually, the IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS uses the same sensor as the 1831, but with varifocal capability
Low light performance is still a tad better on the 1831 because it is fixed lens. The amount of light entering the lens can be quickly diminished as you adjust the focal length on the varifocal model. However, the varifocal model goes up 11mm whereas the highest focal length for fixed lens model is 6mm. Its replaceable but comes at a cost, you void the warranty is anything gets damaged in the process.
I checked Andy's shop and only saw this. Screenshot_20200724-125819.jpg

Reaction score
This is a pretty sweet deal for any beginners
Sorry, but I disagree. Where to start.

First off it is a 1/1.8" sensor but they cram 8MP on it. It is a 2.8mm very wide angle cam. Even in the product spec sheet there is no mention of a minimum illumination value, so I guess it is not worth bragging about. They also state that it is 'Weatherproof IP67' but then in the disclaimer "Installation in a sheltered area recommended". It comes with a 'CAT5e Ethernet Cable' but no mention on it's quality. My guess it is CCA.

Kits are almost always a bad deal, especially for beginners. They almost always have dumbed down cams that are all the same lens, usually 2.8mm wide angles that are really not going to get a good face shot unless the perp is very close. They make great colorful marketing shots, especially the 8MP cams. But 8MP on a 1/1.8" sensor will give you way less low light color performance that any 5442.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, but I disagree. Where to start.

First off it is a 1/1.8" sensor but they cram 8MP on it. It is a 2.8mm very wide angle cam. Even in the product spec sheet there is no mention of a minimum illumination value, so I guess it is not worth bragging about. They also state that it is 'Weatherproof IP67' but then in the disclaimer "Installation in a sheltered area recommended". It comes with a 'CAT5e Ethernet Cable' but no mention on it's quality. My guess it is CCA.

Kits are almost always a bad deal, especially for beginners. They almost always have dumbed down cams that are all the same lens, usually 2.8mm wide angles that are really not going to get a good face shot unless the perp is very close. They make great colorful marketing shots, especially the 8MP cams. But 8MP on a 1/1.8" sensor will give you way less low light color performance that any 5442.
Lorex uses solid copper cables.
I wouldn't buy their NVR kits but I just got accepted for dealer pricing so maybe the cameras alone could be a good deal.

I mean 1/1.8" sensor is a good sensor regardless of the resolution. I bet it will beat a cheap 2431 with 1/3" sensor and 8million pixels are definitely a better fit for a 2.8mm wide angle which could be a good fit in some locations.

Personally I want a 3.6ish mm 1/1.8" 8MP cam next but not sure which one to go for.

Attachments