Lorex NVR hard drive size limit

hunternm

n3wb
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has experience with Lorex NR900 series NVR. It is part of a 4K varifocal camera kit.

It has two bays and I tried to find out the single hard drive size limit and total limit but got different results from Lorex website.

In the Q&A section it mentioned the hard drive size limit is 2x6TB. However, in a Lorex table it says 2x8TB. I am wondering if anyone has experience on putting additional hard drives in this NVR. The limit is 2x6TB or 2X8TB? or is it even greater than that?

Thanks,

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has experience with Lorex NR900 series NVR. It is part of a 4K varifocal camera kit.

It has two bays and I tried to find out the single hard drive size limit and total limit but got different results from Lorex website.

In the Q&A section it mentioned the hard drive size limit is 2x6TB. However, in a Lorex table it says 2x8TB. I am wondering if anyone has experience on putting additional hard drives in this NVR. The limit is 2x6TB or 2X8TB? or is it even greater than that?

Thanks,
Hi @hunternm

I have seen people post that they were successful adding 8TB HDDs into many of the nicer Lorex ( Dahua OEM ) NVRs. So imho it is worth testing out.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @hunternm , I have an Amcrest NVR, again Dahua OEM. It says 6TB maximum and would not recognize an 8TB external drive. I did not pursue work arounds but if that is all you have, partitioning it into a 6TB and 2TB might work. Since they use a Linux system. There is no reason you could not use higher. I guess they only recognize hda1 and hdb1 but have not tried to get around the limit.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @hunternm , I have an Amcrest NVR, again Dahua OEM. It says 6TB maximum and would not recognize an 8TB external drive. I did not pursue work arounds but if that is all you have, partitioning it into a 6TB and 2TB might work. Since they use a Linux system. There is no reason you could not use higher. I guess they only recognize hda1 and hdb1 but have not tried to get around the limit.
Hi @fergenheimer

I believe the model you have would be equivalent to the Dahua OEM NVR4xxx series, and the on in the OP NVR5xxx

Thus I don't think the same applies for that model.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're right @mat200 Mine is an NVR4108. The spec at Lorex website shows 2x8TB which seems limited to me even in an embedded system.

hunternm

n3wb
Reaction score
I just noticed another interesting thing, On the sticker on the NVR it say model NR9163-N ( or NR916-N i can not remember exactly), If i log into the web UI it says device model LNR616. Quite confusing.

Anyway, I think 8T hard drive should work fine with this NVR, It will be just even better if it supports 10T or 12T.