Lorex PTZ - Can view but can't control. Can anyone help?

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently setup a Lorex DVR with 8+ cameras hooked up to it (not IP cameras). I know these systems are not 'pro grade' but I love this setup. 1080p video and 15fps from a standalone DVR.

The set came with the following PTZ camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Technology-Analog-Switchable-LZV1722B/dp/B00NMELTCE

I LOVE this camera. Night-vision is amazing as is zoom / picture. The problem is, though PTZ works fine in the Lorex system and a downloadable desktop Lorex client, in Blue Iris, I only see video and cant control the PTZ.

BI uses the Lorex DVRs IP address and port # to view the various cameras and everything works great except for the PTZ movement.

As the cameras use BNC cable (video/power), I'm wondering if in BI I should be telling BI to use the 'serial' connection but not sure. I've tried using the Dahua PTZ setting and also the Lorex setting - but no movement.

It must be possible as the Lorex desktop app controls the PTZ fine from any location.

Anyone got any suggestions to try?

Thanks all.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure the ptz port is correct.
The DVR likely has a different set of ptz commands than the IP cameras...You should contact support..you will need to give the blue iris developer access to the dvr.

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I have contacted BI support and he had access to my PTZ and took details. However, hes super busy and that was 3 weeks ago.

I thought I would sniff around and see if I could at least help figure this out. A little on the technology the camera uses for PTZ. Flir bought Lorex.

"FLIR MPX™ is a revolutionary videosurveillance format powered by HD-CVI technology. MPX delivers mega pixelpicture quality over coax, meaning you can upgrade your existing analog systems to HD resolution (1MP & 2.1MP)over a single coax cable (existing RG59 & RG6 compatible).Ideal for retrofit, MPX makes upgrading to HD easier than ever without the expense of re-cabling. MPX facilitates powerful functionality previously unattainable over coax with duplex communication, enabling full UTC PTZ control and audio transmission without running additional cabling."

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I have contacted BI support and he had access to my PTZ and took details. However, hes super busy and that was 3 weeks ago.

I thought I would sniff around and see if I could at least help figure this out. A little on the technology the camera uses for PTZ. Flir bought Lorex.

"FLIR MPX™ is a revolutionary videosurveillance format powered by HD-CVI technology. MPX delivers mega pixelpicture quality over coax, meaning you can upgrade your existing analog systems to HD resolution (1MP & 2.1MP)over a single coax cable (existing RG59 & RG6 compatible).Ideal for retrofit, MPX makes upgrading to HD easier than ever without the expense of re-cabling. MPX facilitates powerful functionality previously unattainable over coax with duplex communication, enabling full UTC PTZ control and audio transmission without running additional cabling."
Yes, but flir and lorex simply rebrand dahua...cvi is dahua technology....

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again fenderman. Same thing BI said when he remoted into my PC. He said to try the Dahua h.264 ptz setting but it does nothing.

Is the Dahus also connected by BNC or is it an IP camera? Im having a hard time understanding if BI is pointed to the Lorex DVR for 8 cameras, how can the same port # be used for PTZ if 7 cameras are non-ptz but one is? There is a 'what camera #' selector on the BI interface for the Lorex DVr but Im wondering how BI would know the PTZ camera is PTZ.

Im confused. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again fenderman. Same thing BI said when he remoted into my PC. He said to try the Dahua h.264 ptz setting but it does nothing.

Is the Dahus also connected by BNC or is it an IP camera? Im having a hard time understanding if BI is pointed to the Lorex DVR for 8 cameras, how can the same port # be used for PTZ if 7 cameras are non-ptz but one is? There is a 'what camera #' selector on the BI interface for the Lorex DVr but Im wondering how BI would know the PTZ camera is PTZ.

Im confused. :)
Dahua makes both ip cameras and analog.
The ptz commands are generally sent over the http port and video over rtsp. Blue iris doesnt know if the camera is ptz...it simply sends a command to the dvr to control the specific camera...if the command is correct and the camera is ptz, it will move.

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua makes both ip cameras and analog.
The ptz commands are generally sent over the http port and video over rtsp. Blue iris doesnt know if the camera is ptz...it simply sends a command to the dvr to control the specific camera...if the command is correct and the camera is ptz, it will move.
In the router, I have forwarded the IP port # for the DVR and I am using the same port # in BI - Ive played around with cameras for a few years now but this has me stumped.

ANY suggestions welcome

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the router, I have forwarded the IP port # for the DVR and I am using the same port # in BI - Ive played around with cameras for a few years now but this has me stumped.

ANY suggestions welcome
Port forwarding has nothing to do with controlling he ptz or even viewing the DVR if your BI machine is on the same network.

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Port forwarding has nothing to do with controlling he ptz or even viewing the DVR if your BI machine is on the same network.

Interesting. The DVR and the PC running the BI software are on the same network - but no ptz movement. So it seems the only thing that is configurable, is the PTZ selection?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. The DVR and the PC running the BI software are on the same network - but no ptz movement. So it seems the only thing that is configurable, is the PTZ selection?
Yes, either the DVR uses different commands than the dahua cameras or you have something set wrong. Post a screen shot of the ptz tab.

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are the ptz settings in BI:

1.PNG

Here are the ptz settings in Lorex:

2.PNG

Thanks for your attention.

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again.

The desktop app connects using 35000. The web app connects using 8085.

1.PNG