Lorex vs Dahau firmware image quality differences

Corellon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to sort something out here but not able to make any progress.

I have a bunch of Lorex LNB8005B-C camera's which I am able to upgrade to the Dahau firmware (To address security and ONVIF issues) however after upgrading the image quality is very different (especially at night), on stock settings the Lorex looks soft, slightly over exposed but with accurate color while the Dahau firmware is grainy, green tinged and but better constrast.

Any suggestions on how to get the Dahau's closer to the original lorex settings? There is too much Green in the Dahau's but can only adjust red/blue?
New.20200410_000620193.jpgStock.20200410_000605903.jpg
First image is the Dahua, second is the original lorex, ignore the time they are taken side by side at the same time I just hadn't updated the date/time on the stock firmware. In B/W mode the reverse applies where the Dahau shines with a clearer image and better definition and the lorex has grain and contrast issues.

It would seem that each was tuned for a different purpose, but not sure how to adjust the dahau back closer to the Lorex.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is zero benefit to the firmware update. Block internet access, disable upnp and don’t port forward the camera.

Corellon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The main issue is that ONVIF doesn't work with the stock Lorex firmware, the implementation is screwed up so can't take advantage of motion sensing, alerts or controls if lorex has an updated firmware I'd love to try that one but can't find one. It also doesn't have the Day / Night profiling, Face detection and some of the stream and sub-stream options.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The main issue is that ONVIF doesn't work with the stock Lorex firmware, the implementation is screwed up so can't take advantage of motion sensing, alerts or controls if lorex has an updated firmware I'd love to try that one but can't find one. It also doesn't have the Day / Night profiling, Face detection and some of the stream and sub-stream options.
from you images, it looks like you are using Blue Iris, you dont need onvif. Face detection is a useless gimmick that does not work.

Corellon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I am using blue iris for the recording but for viewing I've been preferring a few other apps which I can use over my VPN to view the camera's directly and those need ONVIF. I also can't get the in camera motion detection working with blue iris without onvif, SNMP and SMTP support working as well, nor the privacy masking which I need due to some of the camera locations (in the lorex firmware the boxes can not be edit and always stay as a diagonal line from upper left to lower right).

Sadly the lorex firmware's web interface is not really functional on the version my models have, and I'm sure if I had a lorex NVR it wouldn't be an issue as those can be managed by the NVR but the web interface is pretty buggy and unfinished.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I am using blue iris for the recording but for viewing I've been preferring a few other apps which I can use over my VPN to view the camera's directly and those need ONVIF. I also can't get the in camera motion detection working with blue iris without onvif, SNMP and SMTP support working as well, nor the privacy masking which I need due to some of the camera locations (in the lorex firmware the boxes can not be edit and always stay as a diagonal line from upper left to lower right).

Sadly the lorex firmware's web interface is not really functional on the version my models have, and I'm sure if I had a lorex NVR it wouldn't be an issue as those can be managed by the NVR but the web interface is pretty buggy and unfinished.
You can access Blue Iris via VPN just the same. And have the benefit of being able to be recorded footage that you can’t via the apps are using. Motion detection is not reliant on onvif it’s done by blue Iris itself.