Loryta IPC-HFW7442H-Z4-X first impression

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Andy-branded IPC-HFW7442H-Z4-X arrived yesterday from Amazon so I hooked it up and did some of the initial setup.
Here is my first impressions:
1. The UX on this model is FAR better than on my older 2mp starlights. Although video works just fine on Chrome, one gripe I have is that the camera UX was initially missing a LOT of things like network settings, etc. I had to install some kind of plugin.exe that it tells you about in the camera UX. I would REALLY prefer to not have to install all sorts of sketchy components like this for camera maintenance. I guess at least this didn't require Internet Exploiter.
2. The SmartWiz AI is quite powerful. I played around with face recognition and it is able to give you stats such as the rough age, demeanor (happy, unhappy, etc), gender, presence of facial hair and glasses. The object detection appears to be able to classify cars, people, animals, etc. The ALPR is the part I'm most interested in but I can't really comment on how well that'll work until I mount the camera outside.. However it looks like in addition to plates it can identify basic information about the cars like models, colors, etc. My hope is that the plate reading is reasonably accurate and reports out via ONVIF in a manner that I can ingest this directly into BlueIris. I'm also anxious to try out the autoexposure it purports to have for license plates; the literature show a car at night with an exposure compensated license plate and still visible vehicle. If that works as well as the literature I'll be blown away.
3. This thing has SO many inputs and outputs. There are alarm in/out, audio in/out, coax (I think for ePOE), and ethernet.
4. It comes with the right junction box!! A nice touch.

I will report back once I get it all set up and running -- I expect that'll be in a couple weeks as I need to install a post for mounting it and don't feel like doing that in this insane heat.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you been able to download the latest fw from dahua website ? I tried, but I get corrupted firmware.bin file, while decompressing.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you been able to download the latest fw from dahua website ? I tried, but I get corrupted firmware.bin file, while decompressing.
What types of things did the new firmware fix/add?
I haven't tried yet; did Andy recommend that? I'm not sure if he has different firmwares.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seems some improvements, see here, I've already talked with Andy, about that issue, He told me that will ask to Dahua for know if there is any issue with the online fw (the SHA256 doesn't match).

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems some improvements, see here, I've already talked with Andy, about that issue, He told me that will ask to Dahua for know if there is any issue with the online fw (the SHA256 doesn't match).
Cool, sounds like some reasonable improvements.
Have you tried the ALPR on it yet? I found the configuration for that a bit odd; I'm on a small residential road so I'm not sure the concept of lanes really is going to work.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you try to download and unzip it (download, firmare)?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you saying this one triggers on animals, and even lets you select or deselect them?
I'm not quite sure how this works yet; I'll update once I get it set up. :) The utility companies finally marked things out so I'll have to get some time to put the post in.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
More directly re his question, for targets within the detection settings where there are choices for cars, people, is there also a specific selection for animals?

We're asking because in most of the Dahua cams there are only selections for humans/vehicles, not animals, and the AI doesn't trigger on animals even when not limited to humans/vehicles. Which doesn't work so great for those of us who want to capture wildlife and use the AI to eliminate false alerts from trees, etc. There's one lower end model that they appear to have added animals but to date that's the only one that I've seen where they've done that. Wondering if they've done the same with this one.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
More directly re his question, for targets within the detection settings where there are choices for cars, people, is there also a specific selection for animals?

We're asking because in most of the Dahua cams there are only selections for humans/vehicles, not animals, and the AI doesn't trigger on animals even when not limited to humans/vehicles. Which doesn't work so great for those of us who want to capture wildlife and use the AI to eliminate false alerts from trees, etc. There's one lower end model that they appear to have added animals but to date that's the only one that I've seen where they've done that. Wondering if they've done the same with this one.
Okay, good to know. I will hook up the camera again and go through the settings to see what I can find.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear how well this plays with BI.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, the time flew. I kept meaning to mount this camera alongside my regular 2mp starlight bullet to compare the two.
That resulted in a whole string of things I had to do, like call to get the utilities marked, dig the post hole, install the post, let the cement cure, get outdoor CAT6, connectors, etc, etc...

In any case, for now I have both cameras mounted looking in the same direction. Once I get the Smartwiz fully tuned I'll move the existing 2MP camera (top) to a different angle to get the other direction reliably..
1694385136970.png

The ALPR in the camera appears to have some good portential:

1694385109696.png

1694385287363.png
(great crop job on the 2nd one camera)

I next need to figure out the format of the ALPR events. I presume they're sent via ONVIF so BI can pull them in.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The setup for the ANPR is a bit of a mystery to me so far...

You are supposed to set up "lanes" of traffic and indicate the land direction. If you just set up one lane, then it looks like it'll ONLY ANPR traffic going in that direction.

1694385973881.png

So you can see above I created two lanes which overlap, one for the same direction. Even if I could get the camera pointing cleanly down the road, this is a residential road and people don't exactly drive in defined lanes.

So far I can only get "lane 1" which is oncoming traffic to work. "Lane 2" which is outbound traffic doesn't seem to recognize the cars or plates.

Attachments

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So far the "WizMind" literature's promise of "AI-powered image processing" is not working...
1694402681107.png

That license plate is a hot mess.
1694402443758.png

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Okay, so far I've tweaked the exposure and shutter speed to optimize viewing plates, just like I did with the 2 MP ALPR cam I've got set up.

In addition to using the ALPR AI mode, if you configure to use the "AI metadata" detection:
1694409552298.png

You CAN detect cars. It does appear that in this mode ALPR is still active.

I'm not seeing the ALPR data come via ONVIF to Blue Iris, however.

There is an ability to relay events over HTTP. Looking at the JSON that the camera sends, it does look like it is doing plate recognition, including tracking its bounding box and the text of the plate.

"CountInGroup" : 2,
"EventID" : 10127,
"EventSeq" : 10,
"FrameSequence" : 59053,
"GroupID" : 10,
"Mark" : 1,
"Name" : "VM-1",
"NonMotor" : null,
"Object" : {
"BoundingBox" : [ 5858, 3046, 6129, 3284 ],
"Category" : "Unknown",
"FrameSequence" : 59053,
"MainColor" : [ 255, 255, 255, 0 ],
"ObjectID" : 124,
"ObjectType" : "Plate",

"OriginalBoundingBox" : [ 1922, 589, 2011, 635 ],
"PlateCentroid" : [ 749, 369 ],
"Text" : "8RCU313"

},
It would be pretty trivial to transform this JSON into an appropriate trigger back to Blue Iris with the plate number included in the result.
The camera can also directly upload stills to an FTPS server.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you try with the new fw ? They have fixed the corrupted firmware.bin file.