Losing video

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Every so often, I seem to lose video. For instance, today, I have videos from all my cameras from early today, but video from one camera is missing in the afternoon - there are videos from early in the day and in the evening, but the afternoon videos won't play within the Blue Iris user interface. I get an error 800004005.
2016-01-18_23-24-42.jpg

I actually had a theft today, and, although I could play the video files just after the theft occurred at 1pm, I can't now - at least from within BI. If I go to the folder where the videos are stored, I can find a file that contains these videos (I copy and rename the .BVR extension to .MPG and I can play it). But I can't view it from within Blue Iris.

This is unacceptable - why do the videos "disappear" from within BI??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Every so often, I seem to lose video. For instance, today, I have videos from all my cameras from early today, but video from one camera is missing in the afternoon - there are videos from early in the day and in the evening, but the afternoon videos won't play within the Blue Iris user interface. I get an error 800004005.
View attachment 7692

I actually had a theft today, and, although I could play the video files just after the theft occurred at 1pm, I can't now - at least from within BI. If I go to the folder where the videos are stored, I can find a file that contains these videos (I copy and rename the .BVR extension to .MPG and I can play it). But I can't view it from within Blue Iris.

This is unacceptable - why do the videos "disappear" from within BI??
You are not losing video. Its there. That error is usually related to the database. Have you recently moved the database folder or the folder where files are stored?
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/search.php?searchid=612081
Completely delete the database folder and let it rebuild.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't changed any settings since first setting up BI on this computer.

I have the files and the database in the same folder, so deleting the database folder will delete the videos as well. Along with the ".bvr" files, there are 10 files with the extension ".dat" - is it safe to just delete the ".dat" files?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't changed any settings since first setting up BI on this computer.

I have the files and the database in the same folder, so deleting the database folder will delete the videos as well. Along with the ".bvr" files, there are 10 files with the extension ".dat" - is it safe to just delete the ".dat" files?
There should be no video files in your database folder ...only the .dat files. Delete the entire folder. You will only loose the motion markers in the timeline.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's some kind of disconnect between the data files (aka the database) and the actual clips. I had both the clips and the data files in the same folder. Based on your comments, I separated them, putting the "database" in C:\BlueIrisDB\ and the clips in "C:\BlueIrisFiles".

I also deleted all of the old .DAT files.

All of the clips disappeared (as expected) from the "Clips" section of the BI interface.

Now, when there's motion and a clip is recorded, a clip shows up in the "clips" section, but none of the clips can be played from within the BI interface. The image below shows 5 clips - all display the "Unable to open file" error of 800004005.

2016-01-19_11-56-53.jpg

Here are my clips and archiving options:

2016-01-19_11-59-27.jpg

Why is there such a disconnect between BI clips and the database??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There's some kind of disconnect between the data files (aka the database) and the actual clips. I had both the clips and the data files in the same folder. Based on your comments, I separated them, putting the "database" in C:\BlueIrisDB\ and the clips in "C:\BlueIrisFiles".

I also deleted all of the old .DAT files.

All of the clips disappeared (as expected) from the "Clips" section of the BI interface.

Now, when there's motion and a clip is recorded, a clip shows up in the "clips" section, but none of the clips can be played from within the BI interface. The image below shows 5 clips - all display the "Unable to open file" error of 800004005.

View attachment 7704

Here are my clips and archiving options:

View attachment 7705

Why is there such a disconnect between BI clips and the database??
This is likely due to you changing the folders up without rebuilding the database. You should have a distinct folder for new, stored alerts, and database.
You might consider a fresh install and leaving the folder default.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
there's a "rebuild database" option somewhere(, isn't there?) that fixes up the db based on the clips it can find...

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there's a "rebuild database" option somewhere(, isn't there?) that fixes up the db based on the clips it can find...
If there is, I couldn't find it. I ended up backup up, renaming the folders on the hard drive, reinstalling BI, noting where the folders were located, restoring the backup, restoring the original folder names. Things seem to be OK for now, but it seems like the clips and database go out of sync every so often.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If there is, I couldn't find it. I ended up backup up, renaming the folders on the hard drive, reinstalling BI, noting where the folders were located, restoring the backup, restoring the original folder names. Things seem to be OK for now, but it seems like the clips and database go out of sync every so often.
They should not go out of sync. I have over 20 systems running BI and have never seen this occur. If you right click on the clips list there will be an option to repair/regenerate the database. If you move the folders around without regenerating the database this will happen.