Lost all videos, and BI5 will no longer work nor install on my computer without errrors after update

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to get a clean install? I have tried reinstalling, even renaming the BI folders in programs, and it still boots up with configuration files with cameras and license info, but the service will not start, settings wont save and it tells me "unable to delete import key.. adjust permissions" while starting up.

Since i have lost everything anyway, I decided to do a new clean install and just start over. But all of the above issues just come back on a new install.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Download the latest version of W10 from the Microsoft media creation site, let it create a bootable usb stick. Boot up of the stick and reinstall W10, then install BI5.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
I may have to do that. I have a bootable CD that I made about the time I upgraded that computer and put BI on it.

There is a thread in the BI forum that covers one of the errors I get that evolves changing permissions in the registry. I tried the fix specified there and it didn't fix it.

It seems that BI has deleted my log into their forum as I can no longer log in there, so I am not able to try to get help from that source. I re-registered with the exact same credentials I used before and it accepted them, but I never got a confirmation email. I also have priority support but I have read several others that never heard from their requests for support under the priority program... so I may be on my own to figure it out.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You said you were going to do a clean install so do as I stated, enter your BI5 key, setup your cams and then forget all about it.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
You said you were going to do a clean install so do as I stated, enter your BI5 key, setup your cams and then forget all about it.
Thanks you your help. Still just hoping for an easy fix. I dont really want to dig that computer out of its cubby hole and spend the time doing it. RIght now, it will record if I don't close the console. I can't change any of the settings either. I belive it is permission issues all the way around, and probably not a hard fix for someone a little more skilled than myself. So I am letting it coast along until I am in the mood. At the end of the day, your option should fix it. I dont have any other programs on there anyway. I captured all of the propertly screens on the cameras to make it faster to set it back up. Creating all of the recording masks and stuff is probably where my time will go. I have that old backup of my configuation, but I am afraid to use it on a new clean install after this mess.

jimbo123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried deleting, or renaming the registry branch that BI uses ?

1. Open regedit
  2. Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software' (I think that's the path as I'm not at home)
  3. Right-click 'delete',.. or 'rename' to preserve it if you want to go back and review

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried deleting, or renaming the registry branch that BI uses ?

1. Open regedit
  2. Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software' (I think that's the path as I'm not at home)
  3. Right-click 'delete',.. or 'rename' to preserve it if you want to go back and review
No, I assumed if I did that that I would need to re-install again and really never make registry changes without specific detailed instructions. I would be afraid of un-intended consequences if I did that.

I did read where you need to change the "Everyone" user of the a1 key to full access for the unable to delete import key.. adjust permissions error. There wasn't a "Everyone" user, so I added one and gave the user full access of the a1 key, but the error did not go away. Once you start BI, the "Everyone" user goes away too.

I have actually seen to different posts and they changed permissions on different keys but I only read where one of them was successful.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually got a bit more nerve since it looks like I would have to re-install windows to solve the issue anyway. I got a little more aggressive with my permissions settings and it works now. I had to add account everyone with full permissions in the import registry a1 key and also to the a1 key in the blue iris group. The import keys did disappear after I restarted (I think they are supposed to).

I also rebuilt the database again and still lost most of the videos from the database even though they are still on the hard drive. Does re-building the database go out and find all of those videos or are they just lost from the database forever? I am wondering if this is also a permissions issue. I may need a new thread for this.

Thanks for all the feedback! Hopefully nothing will bite later! Right now everything seems to be working ok, but I did loose about 75% of the stored videos.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as I know it will only find them if the paths are either the same as they were before or consistent. What I mean by this is if the vids were on e:\new before and they still are there then it will find them. If you have changed the path to f:\new from e:\new then provided you have also manually moved the vids it will find them.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
As far as I know it will only find them if the paths are either the same as they were before or consistent. What I mean by this is if the vids were on e:\new before and they still are there then it will find them. If you have changed the path to f:\new from e:\new then provided you have also manually moved the vids it will find them.
The vids are in the same folders they were in before the crash. So are you saying if I move the vids from the stored folder back to the new folder that the database will rebuild all of the links and the system will move them back to the stored folder per the settings?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If they are in the same place and your settings for New and Stored are exactly the same then I’d try another rebuild. I recently moved clips around on my server in order to balance out the space usage and had to rebuild twice before all the clips were available.