Lost camera on new NVR

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have my new gear.. so this thread was bound to happen as it looks like I already screwed something up.

I'm doing some burn-in on my new NVR and Cams. Unfortunately, I lost the video to one of my turret cams.

Steps I did that I'm assuming caused the loss (worked prviously). I logged into our laptop and remote'd into the NVR. Under camera's I connected to the cam and logged in the with default ADMIN -- 12345. It asked me to change the password to something secure, which I did. I looked around at the settings but didn't change anything else and closed it.

When I looked back the the live feed... that cam is black now. I tried going into the camera section of the NVR setup and all I see for this cam now is Password STRONG and OFFLINE/Network Abnormal. I tried to click modify and enter the new password I created when It asked me to make it more secure on the direct login...no dice. It doesn't help. I tried selecting that cam and applying defaults... no luck.

I have other cams running fine that I never logged into directly and left the default pass... since I never logged in. I'm thinking that has to be it.. but I can't get it to work now. Grr

Ideas?

P.S. I already got email setup for alerts and it tested fine... I was on a roll until this!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Just FYI when you log into those cams that prompt is a "suggestion" you don't have to change the password just click "cancel" and it will still let you in the camera :cool:

However, now that you have lets see what we can do to help :)
1. Goto the NVR via your web browser and login
2. Under "system" goto "Camera Management"
3. Click on the "Channel number" box of the effected camera - not the check box to the far left and not the link on the far right.
4. Now click "Modify" box above.
5. Instead of Plug and Play select Manual and change your password - no other settings - then click save.
6. Restart your NVR

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Also as a side note @Alphax

1. log into the NVR in your web browser again.
2. goto configuration
3. goto "advanced settings" under "network"
4. then select "other"
5. enable the check box for "Virtual Host"

Now in the future you can just hit the cams directly instead of navigating through the NVR.
For example if your NVR IP address is 10.0.0.51 you can get to each camera directly via 10.0.0.51:65001 for camera on port 1 and 10.0.051:65002 to access camera on port 2 and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response, @zero-degrees

Yeah.. I know. I was trying to be more secure :shame:

Well, I had tried to save the password into the NVR earlier with no dice. This time I did try the reboot, as suggested. No luck. Same error.

Password = Strong
Status = Offline / Network Abnormal

Is there a way to factory reset the cam? I tried to select it in the NVR an hit default. No change.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Alphax
That error also shows on open ports sometimes as well.

ensure your remote management / virtual host is enabled.
shut down the NVR
plug the effected camera into another POE port that is NOT being used on the NVR
bring everything back up
try to access the camera directly via the x.x.x.x:6500X
if you are able reset it back to the default 12345

Your cameras are already behind the NVR, if you want to "protect" them, just turn off virtual host, even if someone ends up on your network they can't see the cameras if virtual host if OFF unless they log into the NVR

restart the NVR and see if it comes up under another IP or port. You sure you ONLY changed the password?

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@zero-degrees.

Yep, when I logged into the cam I actually didn't get to do anything as I didn't have quicktime installed and it just kept erroring out and never showed the screen so I closed it.

When I try to click on the direct link (far right side) on the NVR remote management that cam just comes up as server not found. I also cannot find a reset button on this camera... yikes

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Lost camera on new NVR (How To Factory Reset LTS Camera?)

I wish I could just reset this camera... all of the others are working fine. Also, the cam is functioning... the IR's click on and off with darkness testing. I just can't connect

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: Lost camera on new NVR (How To Factory Reset LTS Camera?)

@Alphax what model camera is this one?

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CMIP3042W-28

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
CMIP3042W-28

Yea, I would just sit on it. Normally if you weren't working through the NVR I would say look at the TFTP options to push firmware and force a reset or something like ONVIF device manager to see whats viewable. However, at this point just call LTS tomorrow, I'm sure they will have you up and running within minutes. I've never used there east coast office for tech support but I'm sure they are as great as the central and south office.

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking the same... sigh. Thanks @zero. Trying that tomorrow

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok! Fixed

So.. on the way to the beer fridge while admitting defeat I went to unplug the camera for the bazillionth time. As I looked closer to the cable I saw a small button on one side of the splitter for the RJ45... a RESET!

I unplugged it and held for 10, kept it depressed and plugged back in and counted another 10. Image came right up.

#winning

(Insert Maniacal Laughter)

*Side Question* FOr security reasons... which ports should I change on the NVR itself?

HTTP (changes this already)
RTSP (huh?)
SERVER (huh?)
HTTPS

Would I be connecting via HTTPS?.. I'd like to but my old DVR did not allow this.

:)